Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch Errors Where There Should be None

cyrus_costa541cyrus_costa541 Member Posts: 54

I have posted about this before, but my sketches keep failing because of errors that are impossible. The sketch says it could not be solved however the constraints I have on the sketch clearly do not make it unsolvable. Most recently this happened when I had a made a sketch that had no issues it was completely defined. Then I copied it put it on another plane and immediately it said it could not be solved. I am not sure why it is not working. It seems like the littlest thing can make my sketch undefined and I am just not sure why this is happening. The only explanation seems to be a bug, but I am really not sure. On another post I made about this someone commented that onshape could have a constraints limit, but this is not the case if my sketch went undefined just by copying it onto another plane.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,877 PRO

Without seeing the sketches, it's hard to say. The first thing when you're having issues with constraints is to make sure you have the constraints shown. I kinda get why this is turned off be default every time, but it is confusing. A lot of constraints get added by default, including things like lining up vertices along horizontals or verticals when you didn't necessarily mean to. Some constraints are hard to see because they get shown on top of each other. Constraints which involve two entities are only shown in a single location, which can make debugging harder (unlike some other CAD systems).

Keep in mind that blue constraints are external to the sketch. Cutting and pasting will remove the blue constraints, and cause the sketcher to need to re-solve the sketch. Until you add some external constraints again, all the sketch entities in the sketch will be blue because the whole thing can float around.

In general, the more entities, the more complex it is to solve a sketch. Tangent constraints, offsets and external edges that are used can all make things that much more complicated.

• cyrus_costa541cyrus_costa541 Member Posts: 54

Yes. I know all of this, but this is not the issue. However, after I posted this, I went back to work on my sketch, and it was unsolvable but then I added another constraint (a coincident between a point on the unsolvable sketch and another outside sketch) and this seemed to solve it. So, it was clearly not an issue with over constraining or other things.

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16

So, the warning "sketch unsolvable" is thrown on the copied sketch, if there were constraints in the first, fully defined sketch tied to geometry outside of this sketch - and the bad constraints need to be deleted and/or edited to solve? Is this what is happening? Hope this makes sense.

Are the offending constraints highlighted so they can easily be found? So many questions.

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 391

It's pretty much impossible to help without seeing the sketch. If it's indeed a bug, your best bet is to open a support ticket.

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 391

Top right: