Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mac Usability feedback for Onshape and General Cad work

robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 39 PRO

Thought I would ask the community who uses Mac how they find using Mac for Onshape and Cad in general like Autocad/Bricscad etc.

Reason for asking is I'm hearing impaired with bilateral implants using the latest N8 processors from Cochlear. I use Iphones and Ipads that have "MFI" (Made for Iphone) audio connectivity to directly stream audio to my implants. Laptops/computers have always needed a 3rd party device with the audio jack, no direct wireless streaming cababilitys supported from the operating systems (both Windows and Mac).

This however looks like it may have changed with the new Mac Os Sequoia release. I will go to the apple store and try in person. If this streams audio as flawlessly as my iphone, I'll likely convert to Mac as laptops are the last wireless audio hurdle for me. Especially with the use of Zoom these days.

That being said I'm a long time windows user, never used Mac OS. The main software I use are and if any of you have feedback on any differences being used with a Mac?

Onshape (browser based so don't see any change there)

3d connection spacemouse bluetooth

Bricscad Ultimate for cleaning up DXF files prior to sending to laser cutter (they have a Mac version)

Google Drive for Desktop for cloud sync of files and shearing with team members

Google Chrome web browser

Microsoft outlook for Emails (the "new outlook version")

whatsapp for Desktop

USBC Dual screen

Other than the above software I don't need anything else. Mac users how do you find using Mac Os everyday as your main Cad machine and any feedback or points I should look out for.

Have heard of an October release for apple and may have M4 Macbook pro, will likely wait and see what drops before buying a new laptop.

Thanks

Comments

• Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 122 PRO

I use a MacBook Pro 15" 2020 with a space mouse for all my onshape work and have no issues.

I have used Google Drive, outlook, WhatsApp, etc., and have no issues while running Onshape.

• fstfst Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited September 18

The software you mention should work (no idea about Bricscad and I only have a cable based spacemouse which works - best check the 3d connection forum). The keyboard layout is different and needs some time to adjust. And when you want to use a multi monitor setup ensure that you don't connect two monitors via Displayport as the Macs are not DP-daisychain capable (if both monitors only have DP an HDMI-to-DP converter helps for the second monitor), Several Thunderbolt monitors should work. An additional restriction: The M1 and M2 non-Pro/non-Max chips only support one external monitor. M3 is the first where the non-Pro/non-Max version already supports two external ones (additional to the internal screen).
    I would wait for the M4 Macbooks and then buy an M1-M3 Macbook used. Imho more RAM (>=32 GB - if you e.g. still want a Windows VM for old software) and sufficient SSD (>=1TB) space (which you can get on the used market for reasonable prices) is more impactful than a 20% faster CPU/GPU. All Apple Silicon chips are still plenty fast.

• robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 39 PRO

Great thanks for confirming they all work 😁

Cheers for the info, I just use the one thunderbolt monitor currently above my laptop screen. More Ram the better 👍️

I'll try the apple store and give you all an update.

• romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 671 PRO

Depending on the mouse you use, you might need to install a little utility to enable middle mouse functionality on the Magic Mouse. Onshape runs beautifully on MacOS!

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 775 PRO

I've been using MacOS at my dayjob the past 5 years, with the last 3 being Onshape CAD. About everything is cloud based these days, including the whole MS Office Suite, that it all works great on any machine.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,887 PRO

I used one of the M2 Air's for about 6 months a while back. Worked great.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,202

FWIW, the Onshape developers are almost all on Macbook Pros.

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    edited September 19

Awesome feedback!

@romeograham will have to try, Middle mouse I use for PANing

@nick_papageorge073 nice, yes I try to use mostly cloud services now days.

@MichaelPascoe Nice, what made you go back to Windows?

@ilya_baran Have noticed this with alot of the onshape videos, all using Mac. I think any conserns with Onshape on Mac are squashed. Glad I stuck with Onshape, imagen using Solidworks or Inventor!

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,887 PRO
    edited September 20

@robert_johnston I had a few reasons for switching back:

• Everything for app dev or game dev seemed to need some small work around. On Windows, it just works. I could make things work though.
    • The M2 Air wasn't powerful enough for me. A Pro probably would have been fine from a performance point of view.
    • Apple doesn't support any games! 😱 (Or rather no one makes games for Apple) And the M2 chip doesn't support intel. So even the windows emulations or parallels wouldn't work well, I tried them all.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 545 PRO

@robert_johnston

I have been running a Mac for quite a while.

Onshape and all browsers and any actual cloud-based systems seem to work fine.

I use 3Dconnexion devices, and while they work relatively well, expect to see a few glitches that are not an issue on Windows. (see the 3D connexion forum)

Most programs that have a Mac version seem to run fine. The bugs and glitches that you find will often be different than on Windows and, at times, not as well supported. I use Fusion a little (and dislike it), but it behaves differently on Mac vs. Windows. Expect a similar experience with any locally installed Cad.

I don't use Microsoft, so I can't give any thoughts on that.

Do research and buy a Mac that supports multiple monitors, and that will be a non-issue.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,785 PRO

Part of why I love Onshape is that it runs so well on a Mac. For years I ran Solidworks on Apple laptops, which meant Bootcamp/Windows. It's so much nicer not to deal with graphics card driver issues etc.
    All of this is worlds better than when Pro/E ran on SGI, Sun or HP unix boxes only.

@MichaelPascoe good reasons espcially the games 😀

@wayne_sauder good to know, Yes I'm 99% cloud based now, I don't even use overly powerfull laptops just the Size 13.5" - 14" for portability, If need powerfull windows computer I fire up a data centre based one with remote desktop login.

@S1mon Definiently a marketable feature, even just the shear stability, no corruption of files or need to remember to save are benifits even on windows machines, every other CAD sotware has crashed at some point.

How do you find the difference between using say Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro?

Just lookinh at it I'm swaying towards the Pro just for the screen? My current windows laptop uses Oled so deep blacks.

What specifications do you find is enough before it's considered overkill?

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 775 PRO
    edited September 23

I've used a few Mac's for my dayjob in OS. M1 Mini with 8GB ram, M1 Studio with 64 GB ram and the top of the line processor Ultra processor, and M2 Air with 24 GB ram.

In my experience, they all run OS about the same "until" the memory runs out. When the memory runs out and it goes to paging, it runs dog slow. For professional work, I'd say 24 GB is the minimum, which is the highest RAM you can get on the Air and Mini models. When I had 8GB on the Mini, I'd run out every session with my dayjob stuff. Home hobby stuff 8GB is fine. 16 GB might be enough for dayjob, but I wasn't going to chance it so got the max of 24GB on my Air.

I personally like the Air way better than the Pro, because it's so compact, thin, and light. That's a personal preference of course.

You also want to run Firefox, not Chrome, for dayjob stuff. Chrome has a memory limit of I think either 2 or 4 GB (I forget). Firefox has no memory limit.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,785 PRO

You might want to try Chrome again. When I was working on some complex models, I found that Chrome could handle it better than Safari. These things change with each update to the browsers, so I wouldn't treat any of this as set in stone. Also I would use whichever browser is your regular preference first, and only switch if you are having issues.