Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Multiple derives not allowed?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,791 PRO

This is a new error for me. Until I have time to create a proper custom feature, I was using a part studio with parts for injection molded boss features. That was great until I tried to derive the same bosses in two different derive features in the same part studio, and I got this error. Is there some good reason why this is not allowed?

Also, why was this scolding message about not using derive to create assemblies added? I'm using it to create the same sets of features in different parts of the same part studio.

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,756 PRO

Yeah that seems a bit drastic… My understanding is that it's for performance reasons and deriving multiple times from the same ps and config was always against recommended practice and not it's explicitly not allowed….
    I guess you could derive once and then use transforms (or transform patterns) to add other derived instances of the same. Or use the good old "super derive" FS which should still work the same way.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,791 PRO

The other thing that I'm reminded of is that derived parts get the same name as the originals but the appearance doesn't carry over. This is frustrating since I was trying to use color coding to make it easier to grab the right parts for further operations. I could see this being an option, but I don't know why it just throws away the info.