Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Newbee needing help with half cylinders

david_orlandodavid_orlando Member Posts: 9

I have just started to learn 3D printing and would like to design a tray to hold my sockets. I have included a photo of what I am trying to replace. I am having difficulty defining the half-cylinder and have included a screenshot of my first attempt. The design is simple enough as I just need to make a number of the same shapes but with different dimensions. Thanks

Best Answers

• rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi, check out this document, this really basic stuff should help you get started.
    When extruding, use start offset.

This is just one of thousands of ways to do it.
    I highly recommend the learning centre ....

https://learn.onshape.com/

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ebd478c24d59513bd69cca4/w/a866aff8669c6e1fb64bbcec/e/f8342c566b85ad7db90beac0?renderMode=0&tangentEdgeStyle=1&uiState=670ba02fc77c4161f7296b7c

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey David. I think what you want to do here is create another plane offset from the Front plane and create a new sketch on that plane and go from there.

Although not a feature that might be needed here or at this point in your modeling, while on the subject of planes, just would like to bring up the point that sketches also can be created on mate connectors. Mate connectors are very manipulative so' if you need a common or oddball sketch start plane, it may come in handy.

Sorry if that's too much too much information for now.

- Scotty

Answers

• rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi, check out this document, this really basic stuff should help you get started.
    When extruding, use start offset.

This is just one of thousands of ways to do it.
    I highly recommend the learning centre ....

https://learn.onshape.com/

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ebd478c24d59513bd69cca4/w/a866aff8669c6e1fb64bbcec/e/f8342c566b85ad7db90beac0?renderMode=0&tangentEdgeStyle=1&uiState=670ba02fc77c4161f7296b7c

Hello David, welcome to Onshape and 3D printing. Both these tools have been VERY useful to me in MANY of my projects.

Below is a link to a document (#2 of 'thousands of ways') that makes use of variables, giving better control over the parameters of the part without having to continually reach back into the sketch and change individual dimensions to attain a desired result. Also, take note that there is no dimension given to the length of the tray. That dimension is 'driven' by the sum other dimensions in the sketch. I didn't bother to do all the depth extrudes for the troughs, but you'll get the idea.

To give some wiggle room for the way the sockets fit into the troughs Move Face might be your friend.

I suspect that whatever part you come up with, the part may be too large to print. Within the document below a dovetail Split using a shape was made. If you are using a filament printer significant wiggle room will be needed at the split to enable the two parts to slide together. The first 1/4" or so may go together with a push but there's a lot of remaining surface area left to go. Use Move Face to make it feasible. Even using a resin printer, I would give it a wee (.005") bit of clearance.

-Scotty

P.S. While you're in the document, checkout this guy for easier dimension editing.

Socket tray | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

• david_orlandodavid_orlando Member Posts: 9

I appreciate the reply and the point in the right direction. The link is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

I am finally getting the hang of this and it is becoming addictive. I was able to accomplish the first row and am now working on the second row but I am unable to fully define it to the back plain. My thought process is to create the second set of circles and extrude them further to the front in front of the first row. Am I thinking correctly???

Thanks

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/45e3734efff8468796aff795/w/a77cad9979b2a592f69006b2/e/0f479218ec4163ab395b50ed

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@david_orlando This comment is about design, and not so much about using Onshape. I have a tap and die set, that is similar to your socket example. The taps and dies, fit snugly into there indents - so much so, that they are almost impossible to remove from their holder. Do yourself a favor, and make some provision for easy removal. (e.g. a cutout at one end for fingertips)

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 387

Good point… Thanks

Answer ✓

Hey David. I think what you want to do here is create another plane offset from the Front plane and create a new sketch on that plane and go from there.

Although not a feature that might be needed here or at this point in your modeling, while on the subject of planes, just would like to bring up the point that sketches also can be created on mate connectors. Mate connectors are very manipulative so' if you need a common or oddball sketch start plane, it may come in handy.

Sorry if that's too much too much information for now.

- Scotty

Any information that moves me along is helpful. Thanks