Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Making modifications to derived parts - a question for cabinet builders

Hello, I am making my first cabinet in Onshape and loving it; however, I think I am doing certain things the hard way (duplicating, replicating, etc.). I am hoping there is a better way to do the drawers. Currently I have a part studio for almost every drawer but many features are the same across all of them, like drawer slide cutouts, bottom panels, width. The drawers on the left and right are the same except that the drawer face is offset different directions. I am pretty sure derived parts are the key but am wondering if I can just make one "master drawer" and then adjust things like the face and height on the derived ones? Is this possible, or what is the most efficient way to create many different drawers based off one main design? Thanks for any help.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0b57e8db27d43f80b9f7ebc5/w/b6bff6c58e7f1e586296831f/e/1802ee812fcaaf6bf026637a?renderMode=0&uiState=670ecbdb15fa6b0560b63288

Best Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,791 PRO
    Answer ✓

You should learn about configurations…

Looks like you would only need to make your drawer once if you used a few variables and configurations (or even configurations variables)…

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have you looked at 'configurations' to build the drawers? Making each one in its own part studio is a lot more work. With configurations, common geometry is used by all drawers with a selection of items that vary like length width and height being selectable or entered on the fly.

When inserted into an assembly you can be queried for size by a selection or the dimensions can be asked for.

https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=%5B%22Difficulty%22%5D&query=configuration&values=%5B%22Intermediate%22%5D

Answer ✓

You can't configure a sketch contraint…
    However you could draw it centered and use a transform to move the body sideways "up to" the relevant sketch point/reference.

Answers

Answer ✓

You should learn about configurations…

Looks like you would only need to make your drawer once if you used a few variables and configurations (or even configurations variables)…

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have you looked at 'configurations' to build the drawers? Making each one in its own part studio is a lot more work. With configurations, common geometry is used by all drawers with a selection of items that vary like length width and height being selectable or entered on the fly.

When inserted into an assembly you can be queried for size by a selection or the dimensions can be asked for.

https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=%5B%22Difficulty%22%5D&query=configuration&values=%5B%22Intermediate%22%5D

• patrick_reid742patrick_reid742 Member Posts: 4

This sounds like the answer I am looking for. I will learn about configurations. Thanks

• patrick_reid742patrick_reid742 Member Posts: 4

Configurations is very cool but there is one thing I can't find. How do I change specific constraints in a configuration? In my case, I want the dimension of the left drawer face to reference the left edge and the configuration for the right drawer to reference the right edge.

Answer ✓

You can't configure a sketch contraint…
    However you could draw it centered and use a transform to move the body sideways "up to" the relevant sketch point/reference.