Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

dimensions problem in drawing, is this a floating point error?

ashley_reid998ashley_reid998 Member Posts: 4

I am trying to make a drawing of a simple part that is created using a revolve.
The outer dimension I am looking for is 46.65mm, but when I transfer my model to a drawing I am getting 46.45 instead. (see pictures)
I thought this might be a floating point /rounding error when Onshape is transferring the dimensions across, but 46.45 / 2 = 23.225 ← what's that all about?
If it was showing 46.66 which is 23.33 *2 that might make sense. but.. help?

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,875 PRO

Your drawing looks like it's a section. Perhaps you're not sectioning at the actual diameter? It's hard to tell just from these details.

• ashley_reid998ashley_reid998 Member Posts: 4

You are correct, I had failed to realise the at a feature added after the sketch shown was effecting the dimension I was after.

It begins as lathe part and I was looking to create a drawing detailing the lathe cuts before the second-op/mill features are added.
    The fix was to manually change the dimensions, with notes, which suited the drawing in this context.

cheers for your response!

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,811 PRO

For a case like this where you have a part done in one process and then features added with a different process, I would recommend using the "derived" workflow:
    Create the lathe part in one part studio and then derive that in a second part studio and add the subsequent operations. This gets around this by allowing you to easily create drawing views for only the initial features.

You could also do it with configurations but it's less "clear" and harder to maintain so I would only recommend that if there are only a couple simple "post process" features to keep track off...

Overriding dimensions on a drawing should be an absolute last resort!