Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Weldments

jim_aikinsjim_aikins Member Posts: 1
Hi, are there plans to implement weldment functionality similar to solidworks by having a library of shapes that follow sketch paths and also create a cut list showing types of profiles and cut lengths?  In solidworks it's a single part file with multiple solid bodies.  You can also have sheet metal incorporated into the weldment and extract flat patterns.

Best Answer

Answers

• mackmcdmackmcd Member Posts: 3
    For me, weldments and sheet metal features are absolutely essential prior to making a purchase for OnShape. At least 90% of my clients are "macro builders" as I call them, using structural members and sheetmetal and welding machines to make large assemblies. The workflow to draw these projects in OnShape is simply too cumbersome in it's current state. 

And this is a shame, because I absolutely love the feature set behind OnShape's cloud based system. I have all the faith in the world in the team that founded SolidWorks, and the collaboration, version control, and all the other benefits of OnShape are amazing. However until the feature set when it comes to the actual CAD workflow improves, I simply can't switch over. It's not even a choice. I'd go out of business. 
  • seth_roskoseth_rosko Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Any progress here OnShape?