Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Reverting from Circle to Polygon

gabriel_stein118gabriel_stein118 Member Posts: 6 EDU
Hey, I have been working on Onshape for a few weeks now, but the past couple of days I have struggled to resolve an issue. My document contains many circular forms, all of which are based on sketches with circles. Despite the fact that the forms were original sketched as circles (and when I double-click on the sketch, it is shown as a circle), the final form displays the circles as more crude polygons, mimicking but just approximating the shape of the circle. Does anybody know why this may be the case? I can't seem to find a fix.

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This is purely a graphical thing, the objects you created are still circular.  The tessellation of your models has an angular tolerance and approximates the circular edges with segments of lines.  The tighter the tolerance, the more circular it looks.  

Right now we don't have a way of changing the tessellation.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Thank you very much, jakeramsley. While I am sure that it is a graphical issue, sometimes it displays the circles as circles, and other times as polygons, no matter what the zoom or configuration. It seems like Onshape is perfectly capable of rendering those circles as circles, and sometimes it just errs. Do you know if there is a way that I might be able to more predictably have the circles displayed as circles? While it may very well be a graphics problem, I wonder if there is a way to the get desired rendering that I now only occasionally happen upon. Thanks!
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @jakeramsleyWithout a way to change tessellation it becomes very hard to analyze interference of an assembly at times. Is this way of changing tessellation in the works?
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Thank you very much, jakeramsley. While I am sure that it is a graphical issue, sometimes it displays the circles as circles, and other times as polygons, no matter what the zoom or configuration. It seems like Onshape is perfectly capable of rendering those circles as circles, and sometimes it just errs. Do you know if there is a way that I might be able to more predictably have the circles displayed as circles? While it may very well be a graphics problem, I wonder if there is a way to the get desired rendering that I now only occasionally happen upon. Thanks!
    I just realized this was in the Drawings category.  If you click on the 'Refine graphics' button on the far right it should turn coarsely rendered circles into finely rendered circles.

In part studios and assemblies, the coarseness of the tessellation is related to the number of faces rendered.

_Dave_ said:
    @jakeramsleyWithout a way to change tessellation it becomes very hard to analyze interference of an assembly at times. Is this way of changing tessellation in the works?
    Graphical improvements are currently being worked on including the rendering rendering of circular faces/edges/etc.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    jakeramsley thanks again. This is very helpful. However, just to be clear, this refining feature is only possible in drawings, right? It isn't possible in the middle of modeling? Thanks.