Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

While in Assembly, is there a way to flip a part?

New to CAD and studying it on my own so apologies if this is a stupid question...

I have a panel which I would like to stack one on top of another.  Copying the part was no problem but I would like to flip every other panel where side A would face side A of the second panel while both are in the upright position.  (hope this makes sense)... Put another way, if I had 2 quarters, I would like the head side of the quarter facing each other while both heads are upright.

I know I could do this in Parts Studio and just save it as another part but was wondering/hoping I can just copy/paste the part in Assembly and just flip it.

Couldn't figure it out.  any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Answer ✓
    Without adding any mates, it is possible to modify the position or orientation of any part or collection of parts using the triad manipulator.
    Any location in the selected group can be moved to the origin
    The Triad can be reorientated by dragging it onto any generated mate connection point
    Any part or group of parts can have any of the primary axes aligned or anti-aligned with the z axis.
    Bottom line - you can do anything you want :)

Here is the link to the help

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#triad.htm?TocPath=Modeling%20in%20Onshape|Assembly|_____2
    Philip Thomas - Onshape

Answers

• øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    You can just insert the same part multiple times in the assembly, and then assign mate connectors to each instance and then use the appropriate mates (if these are to be fixed together, you'd use the fastened mate).

You really have to play around a little with the mate connector system to get it.
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    You can just insert the same part multiple times in the assembly, and then assign mate connectors to each instance and then use the appropriate mates (if these are to be fixed together, you'd use the fastened mate).

You really have to play around a little with the mate connector system to get it.
    And once you have it with a mate connector, then you can trivially flip things, since mates have the usual flip button (like extrude, etc)
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Answer ✓
    Without adding any mates, it is possible to modify the position or orientation of any part or collection of parts using the triad manipulator.
    Any location in the selected group can be moved to the origin
    The Triad can be reorientated by dragging it onto any generated mate connection point
    Any part or group of parts can have any of the primary axes aligned or anti-aligned with the z axis.
    Bottom line - you can do anything you want :)

Here is the link to the help

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#triad.htm?TocPath=Modeling%20in%20Onshape|Assembly|_____2
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Dragging the triad to a mate connection point is certainly useful, but it still has no numeric input, so it all boils down to eyeballing when moving/rotating the part using that. Right?
  • michael_higamichael_higa Member Posts: 5
    Thank you everyone for your time and input.  The one I was looking for (very simplistic) was the suggestion from philip_thomas.  This method worked for me and gives no problems when assembling parts.