Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sweep with Twist

thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I'm trying to follow a set of instructions for generating a hyperbolic worm gear.  One of the steps involves sweeping a gear profile along a semicircle while also twisting it by x degrees.  Possible in OnShape?  I don't see it on the Sweep tool and trying to fake it with Lofts seems to be imprecise.

Best Answer

Answers

• dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    Sweep with guide curves should do the trick.
  • thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Can you add guide curves to a sweep? I know you can do it with loft.  However as I understand it the loft guide curves have to intersect the lofted profile at both ends, which means the path for the guide curve would have to be 3-dimensional to describe the correct twisting.
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @viru Those examples are not the same as the OP asked for, it seems. He wants hyperbolic worm gears, those are just regular screws.
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the input viru!  As øyvind kaurstad states, a simple helical screw is doable.  The challenge is sweeping the teeth along a torus rather than along a cylinder, or twisting the sweep which would accomplish the same thing.  I'm leaning towards this is not currently possible in OnShape but I've seen people come up with some really clever workarounds on this forum so I thought I'd put the question out there.
    Thanks, Fields. I think that's the closest possible, although with the variability of end conditions I'm not sure I would trust this to be 100% accurate to the correct twist.  For now i'm sticking with non-enveloping worms which are much easier to create (tooth profile swept along helix).