Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to import a whole document in my new project, part studio(s) & all to reuse existing efforts

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in General
Hi guys, I really hope this can be answered the way I expect it :).
I am creating a parts library that I will use (together with generic assemblies, whenever those will be available) and I expect to be able to import both the part studio as well as the assembly into the new project. I need the assembly because it has all the mates and all the instances of the parts in the Part Studio.

I can't really (and shouldn't) create the object as an assembly in the Part Studio, rather I should use the Part studio as the repository from which the assembly will use maybe numerous instances of the same Part to create the final assembly. Because of this it is imperative that I can import this assembly into a new project.

So far I can see that I only can "Copy to clipboard" the Part Studio and paste that into a new document with the "Paste Tab". This will force me to duplicate the efforts of mating all the parts every time, which is not acceptable in the fast peaced workflow we're expected to output nowadays.

So, OnShape and other Gurus, how can this be achieved in OS (I can't really believe it can't, I just don't see it because I'm a noob right? :)

Edit: this is the Nema17 Stepper Motor I have created today. It is public so you can take a look. It is mated in the assembly tab so that you can drag it around and nothing moves but the shaft, which has a rotation mate. I want to reuse this in my current project. How do I do it?

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but what you want isn't possible. It has been requested and OS as eluded to it as a future possibility.
  • florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    But then how can OS expect to be adopted by the engineers? This is a deal breaker from day 1.
    Onshape can't expect engineers to re-mate every time a dumb assembly so that it can be inserted in a more complex assembly to test motion etc...

Who is using Onshape then? Now I start to believe that is all marketing and real engineers are waiting OS to deliver on its promise, not just hype and nice videos.

Sad.