Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape Mobile - February 15th, 2016

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
edited February 2016 in Onshape Mobile

Here's the latest round of updates for iOS and Android:

Highlights include:

1. NEW Universal Toolbar for iPhone and iPad (iOS)

IPad_Air_2png

The Onshape App for iOS now sports the same set of toolbars for sketch, features, and assembly mates across iPhone and iPad. This change makes it easier for you to transition between each type of device and find commands quickly. On the iPad, you can select all commands using just your left thumb, so there’s no need to stretch your hands, especially on the larger screen of the iPad Pro.

2. UPDATED Extended Hole Feature (iOS)

You can now create standard ANSI inch and ISO metric holes, using the Hole feature on iOS devices. To create a standard hole, specify the standard, size, depth, and if it’s a clearance, tapped or drilled hole. If it’s tapped, the correct drill size will be selected for you. When bolting two or more plates together, you can specify that the top plates have clearance holes and the bottom plate is tapped.

3. NEW Silhouette Edges (iOS)

You can now see the silhouette edges of parts and assemblies that have cylindrical features, in “Hidden edges removed” and “Hidden edges visible” view modes, when the model is stationary.

4. NEW Center Point Arc (Android)

You can now create a Center Point Arc when sketching by defining the center, start, and end points. Tap the icon shown above, tap to locate the center of the arc, then tap to locate the start point and drag or tap to position the end point.

We hope you like the improvements in this release across both iOS and Android.  The development teams are hard at work bringing parity to mobile and adjusting to new technologies and capability launched with every new release.  Both iOS and Android are available from the Apple App Store and Google Play for download.  

~ Team Onshape

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• FlanbixFlanbix Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for this great tool.
    However since yesterday update, I can't use OnShape as the update just crashed with a message talking about Error 505.
    Tried to uninstall and reinstall, but no luck, still the same error.
    Android 5.0.2 on Samsung Tab S
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I've forwarded your message on to the dev team, we'll get back to you on this ASAP.
    Hi Flanbix - did the problem occur during the Google Play update? We have no error logs that might suggest it is Onshape causing the error code, nor have we experienced it ourselves, but if you Google "android error 505" you will find numerous sites suggesting how to fix this (e.g. http://www.pntbrother.com/google-play-unknown-error-505-lollipop). Please try these suggestions and let us know if you resolve the issue.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I had Onshape open, Google Play asked for an update to be install, then I had the error since.
    I tried these different methods earlier without success too.
    One of the suggestions is to factory reset the device (backup first) - is that possible to do?
    I rather not do that for now.
    I tried to install for the first time on an LG G4 under 6.0 and I had the same problem.
    However I was able to install it fine on an "old" HTC One X (4.2.2), after I updated the Google Play services (I had the message: "This app won't run unless you ...").
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    I have a Nexus 6P running Android 6.0.1. I got the update notification but after the app appears to download I get a message saying "Can't install app. Onshape can't be installed. Try again, and if the continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -505). The current version still works.
    Ok thanks for the info. We're investigating to see if there is something we can do this end. 
  • raviravi Onshape Employees Posts: 34
    edited February 2016
    @christopher_quijano Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking into this issue now. We will update this thread as soon as we understand this better. Can you let me know what was the previous Onshape version you have before this upgrade?
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    @ravi My current version of Onshape is 1.41.3863.
  • niklas_hallbergniklas_hallberg Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    I just want to bump the issue with Google Play Store error 505 when trying to install the latest version of Onshape 1.42.3885 on my Sony Xperia Z5 (32.0.A.6.200, Lollipop 5.1.1). This occured when trying to install the app, never being installed before.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I just want to bump the issue with Google Play Store error 505 when trying to install the latest version of Onshape 1.42.3885 on my Sony Xperia Z5 (32.0.A.6.200, Lollipop 5.1.1). This occured when trying to install the app, never being installed before.
    We have pushed an update to fix this issue.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    It is now working on my tablet and my phone which had the problem previously.
    Thank you for the quick fix!
  • davidw34davidw34 OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
    Is this the last time we had an onshape "improvements to onshape mobile"?  What's happened?
    @davidw34 - mobile apps continue to get developed, but we don't specifically call it out unless it is big (like sheet metal in iOS in September 2018). Features in mobile apps are always developed/added after the web app. See the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for a complete list of release dates and feature additions.
  • davidw34davidw34 OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
    Hi Neil, I know you are continuing the development of the mobile app and much of your energies have been in other areas which I also see the benefit of in your roadmap.  I guess I am just a little frustrated when it seems that the mobile platform is not keeping up with the desktop when I see so much potential for it to redefine the way design is done in moving on from the mouse and keyboard interface. I use it all the time, but have to acknowledge that it slows my productivity and forces me back to the desktop browser for a number of things. That's why I am impatient to see it advance.  I know most people using Onshape are still desktop bound but I believe Onshape can lead the way in shifting beyond that paradigm.
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    davidw34 said:
    Hi Neil, I know you are continuing the development of the mobile app and much of your energies have been in other areas which I also see the benefit of in your roadmap.  I guess I am just a little frustrated when it seems that the mobile platform is not keeping up with the desktop when I see so much potential for it to redefine the way design is done in moving on from the mouse and keyboard interface. I use it all the time, but have to acknowledge that it slows my productivity and forces me back to the desktop browser for a number of things. That's why I am impatient to see it advance.  I know most people using Onshape are still desktop bound but I believe Onshape can lead the way in shifting beyond that paradigm.
    As a free user I have no right to be frustrated with any lack of features personally. However I do agree that it would be nice to see the mobile app more on par feature wise with the desktop.