Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimension from curved tube

nick_daviesnick_davies Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hi,

I am a Rhino user trying OnShape for the first time and appreciating the experience.  Great tutorials too.

However, I'm stuck with a drawing where I am trying to show the radius of a curved tube which makes up part of a model I imported from Rhino.  The source model is a closed polysurface and wondering if this was part of the reason, I recreated the curved tube on its own as a new, solid part but can't get a dimension off this either.

The part is a 30mm diameter tube of about 1000mm long which has been curved to a 707mm radius.  I would like to show on a drawing the external, centre and internal radii, (722,707 and 692 respectively), but can't pick up on any of these.  Any help would be most welcome.

Nick

Comments

• henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    @nick_davies can you share a link? Hard to visualize the problem here.
  • john_mcculloughjohn_mccullough Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 38

The solution for now would be to create a section view. This will provide arc edges which you can dimension.

In this case of a circle swept along an arc the edges in the orthographic view should be arcs too. Since those edges don't actually exist on the model they are calculated from the surface, which commonly results in polyline edges in the view. I'll file a specific ticket/improvement on that. 
  • nick_daviesnick_davies Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

In the end I recreated the whole part, curved tube included, and was able to pull dimensions off internal and external radii. This was probably not the best part with which to have started my OnShape experience, (I found it very hard to figure out how to create the planes from which to create the shapes), but here it is.

Nick
  • nick_daviesnick_davies Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I should have posted the link to the uploaded Rhino file with curved tube separate - here it is. This is the file from which I couldn't pull dimensions.

Nick