Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing on a new plane but wanting to align a new sketch to elements on another plane

michael_fullermichael_fuller Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I've offset a new drawing plane, I can see existing geometry that resides on a different plane through this plane and want the sketch I'm creating on this new plane to align exactly with the existing geometry.  In SW you could do this two ways, you could select elements of the existing geometry that is on that other plane and effectively recreate them on the new plane.  Or you could essentially retrace it as SW knew to offer the option to snap to those elements as a reference when drawing new lines, etc., even though it was on a different plane.  So, how do I do this?

Comments

• Options
    Well...I figured it out, sort of...."USE" when you right click on geometry that lies on another plane in order to "import" it onto your existing plane.  But when can't I draw a bespoke like that will snap to a line intersection, point, whatever, of geometry that is on another plane?
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    You can but just not during the immediate creation of the entity. After creating the entity you can constrain it to anything visible using the many constrain tools. 
  • Options
    Hmmm, not seeing how to do that at all.  Constraints seem horribly limited to created geometry, missing something clearly.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently I don't understand. Maybe if you provide a link I can decipher what you are referencing.

_Dave_
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @michael_fuller , I feel in Onshape also you can do by three method.
    1) By changing sketch plane
    2) By using use command
    3) By using copy and paste sketch option
    Kindly refer below video for more detail.