Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fillets backwards

ryan_payneryan_payne Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in Community Support
First, after using this for five hours today, this is a great product service software given the fact it is available for free. 

I am trying to fillet an edge such that the face of the extruded object gently merges with the face from which the extruded object was extruded (i.e., I'm trying to fillet it to create a shape similar to what you would get if you ran your finger along a seam of chaulk between your tub and the wall.)  However, the fillet is going into the extruded part, not away from.  How can I get this to fillet correctly?

Thanks

Answers

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited March 2016
    The way the fillet works as I've always used it,  if you're clicking on a <180 degree joint, it adds material.  If it's >180, then material is removed.  

Maybe try disabling "Tangent Propagation", and make sure only one joint line has been selected.  It could be that an adjacent line/joint is causing the issue
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The best way to get the right answer the fastest is to publish a public link.
    That said, i have a guess - i bet that the edge you are trying to fillet is not infact the junction of two faces, but the edge of a separate part.
    How did this happen? One of your prior operations is set up 'New' vs 'Add'. 
    Check that the part count is what you expect. If it's n+1, then that's more proof.
    :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I had something that came out the same way. Turned out that the 2 edges I was trying to fillet had not come out tangent as I thought and the first fillet tucked under the side cutting back into the object. Once the original objects were lined up tangent the way I wanted the resulting blend of 2 fillets worked well.
  • fropfrop Member Posts: 9
    First, after using this for five hours today, this is a great product service software given the fact it is available for free. 

I am trying to fillet an edge such that the face of the extruded object gently merges with the face from which the extruded object was extruded (i.e., I'm trying to fillet it to create a shape similar to what you would get if you ran your finger along a seam of chaulk between your tub and the wall.)  However, the fillet is going into the extruded part, not away from.  How can I get this to fillet correctly?

Thanks

I'm trying to do the same thing actually.. . But I think I found out how to do this. If you just have the edge of the part you won't (in my beginner experience) be able to do the inverted version of the normal fillet. But if you have some kind of step (see how I clicked the intersection between the top and bottom platform) then it will apply that inverse fillet. So.. create a step! :D