Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I query for just the inside surfaces?

fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
For example, I have a pipe network. I want to query for all of the inside surfaces of the pipe, and I don't want the outside surfaces or the end faces of the pipes.

Another example: I have a cavity (like a mold tool), and I want to query for just the inner surfaces.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Great, thanks!

Ya, I imagine using it in multiple contexts right now, so defining "inside" and "outside" intelligently through logic would be ideal, but I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps, is there a way to create a surface normal vector, and check to see if it intersects with any other faces? Yes = Inside, No = Outside.

However, for the specific use cases I can think of, I think qTangentConnectedFaces will work, and I will just have the user select "one of the interior faces". For both mold and fluid flow geometry, the prudent designer would have no sharp edges...