Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Transform Sketch - useless?

Eric_92Eric_92 OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Is it me or is the free-form drag of sketch transform totally useless?
Seems to be against the "design intent" that onshape is based on.
I'd love to be able to key in X,Y movements.
Both this and the "paste sketch" feature are really lacking in positioning and snapping. 
All I want to do is move a sketch vertically down a set amount, not sure why this is so hard.

Answers

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    It's a lot more useful than needing to create a slew of constraints before you can move or rotate a sketch (that was the standard until a couple months ago).  So far I've been able to work around the lack of specificity of movements. However it will be nice when OnShape adds what you're looking for.  I  believe it's on their list of improvements to do at some point  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I wouldn't go as far as totally useless, @chris_8 is right better than where we were a few months earlier.

I think it is a step in the right direction however I'd also like a move from and to a snap points and add set amounts, at the moment I am just guessing a move to the origin by zooming in when dragging which is not really acceptable. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @Eric_92 There is one workaround available to transform a sketch by using pattern tool as below.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5022071/uploads/editor/9k/pa841tr26ro1.gif

Below is a link for similar discussion.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/10972#Comment_10972 
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    These comments are from April 2016. It is now March 2017 and I don't see any resolution. I want to copy a sketch into a new part and then place it by either aligning a key feature, or specify a dimension relative to something else in the part. If this is possible I don't understand how to do it. Placing a sketch should need the following:
    1) specify placement plane.
    2) specify orientation
    3) align or specify a horizontal dimension
    4) align or specify a vertical dimension

Can this be done? If so, please help me.

Thank you!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    https://youtu.be/uwbPei6_Q8E

1) Create a new sketch on the plane you want
    2) paste the sketch into your new sketch
    3) use the tool to rotate / transform your sketch as needed

you can also drag any entity which will respect attached constraints.
    or you can select multiple entities which will group them together temporarily