Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Preparing a part for CAM - how to change geometry

Hi,
Ran into a problem here yesterday when trying to export a part for CAM preparation (that is not aligned with default XYZ geometry). How can I change the geometry settings for one part in a part studio? Does Onshape trust for the CAM program to do this? I cannot find anywhere in the menus how to do this, having separate XYZ orientations for unique parts....

Onshape really needs it's own CAM - love the program but I am beginning to prepare for moving to Fusion360.

Brgds
Christian

Comments

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    The CAM program that I use has a feature that allows the user to transpose the part so that it can be aligned in many different ways.  I mostly use it to orient the part about the X, Y, and Z axes and to set Z0 for the part.  Which CAM program are you using?  Someone here probably uses it and can advise you on options.

If your CAM needs are basic, you can try FreeMill from MecSoft or Kiri:Moto by Grid.Space, both of which have free options in the Onshape App Store.  MecSoft also offers more full-featured options for $$, and MasterCAM and CAMSoft both have integrated apps for Onshape.

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/CAM

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I always orientate parts in Onshape prior to exporting to my cam software. I have issues attempting this in solidworks but not in Onshape. Please share a link to your document and I'm sure that we can advise a simple solution.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually insert the part I wish to machine into an assembly tab and position it with a mate. Then export the assembly.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    All the above suggestions are valid - i am simply adding one more . . . 
    In the part studio, the transform command offers translate and rotate options.
    My favorite is 'transform by mate connector'.
    Place a mate connector on the origin with the primary axis (the blue line) pointing in the direction that represents 'up' on your machine.
    Place a second mate connector on your part that represents the origin and the part orientation.
    Invoke 'transform by mate connector' and then export.
    The main benefit of this methodology is that it is very easy to change the part origin and orientation at a later time (just edit the location of the mate connector on the part). :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • christian_jørgensenchristian_jørgensen Member Posts: 7
    Hi and thanks folks! 

I have been using Estlcam (really a great and afordable CAM and control SW for arduino based machines - www.estlcam.com) but it has limited options for 3D milling - it allows for rotations of objects but only 90degree flipping of the STL object. So when I had a drawing with a part not following this geometry I ran into issues. However I have been putting some hours into understanding Fusion360 lately, and this CAM allows to set the geometry of the object with no issues. So issue is resolved in CAM here, but I will definitively test out the "transform by mate connector" option!

However I really hope for a full featured CAM integrated in Onshape ala F360...hope to see this very soon :D 

Brgds
    Christian
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Christian - thank you for trying Onshape. For you, or anyone else that is looking, you will find several CAM solutions in the Onshape App Store. Two worth highlighting here are; 
    (1) FreeMill by Mecsoft - FREE - connected desktop app - free 3 axis milling
    (2) Kiri:Moto - FREE - integrated cloud app - free 2.5 axis milling and laser and 3D printing
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @michael3424 - just saw that you beat me to it - thank you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • christian_jørgensenchristian_jørgensen Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Philip
    I find  Kiri:Moro a bit to simple for more complex needs,  have not tried FreeMill yet. 

But is there any official comments from onshape on if there will or  not will be an integrated Cam with more advanced strategies - and support for post processors? 

Brgds
    Christian 
    Thanks Philip
    I find  Kiri:Moro a bit to simple for more complex needs,  have not tried FreeMill yet. 

But is there any official comments from onshape on if there will or  not will be an integrated Cam with more advanced strategies - and support for post processors? 

Brgds
    Christian 
    Christian - all four of the current CAM offerings support standard and custom post processor options.
    MasterCAM, VisualMill and CamWorks are all professional-grade offerings with multiple 2D and 3D machining strategies.
    If there is a strategy you are looking for that is not available in all three of these, please let us know.
    There are absolutely more CAM solutions in the pipeline to meet the needs of a broad range of amateur and professional users.
    Thank you for your support of Onshape :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape