Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL Export Units Issue

clint_meltonclint_melton Member Posts: 1
Today I exported an extremely simple hook as an STL. I designed the hook in inches and selected inches in the export. When I bring it into Cura to print, it shows as millimeters. I was able to scale (25.4 mm per in) in Cura to make it work but would like to not have to do this in the future. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @clint_melton When exporting to STL there is an option for units, you can set this to millimeters and it will convert it for you.
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @clint_melton - Is there a units setting in Cura?  STLs themselves are unitless, so a cube of side length 1in would actually read in as side length 1, and if Cura is looking for millimeters (which I believe most 3D printing software does), then it will bring it up as 1mm rather than 1in.  If you export your file in mm, you should see everything correctly on the other end.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    @clint_melton - Is there a units setting in Cura?  STLs themselves are unitless, so a cube of side length 1in would actually read in as side length 1, and if Cura is looking for millimeters (which I believe most 3D printing software does), then it will bring it up as 1mm rather than 1in.  If you export your file in mm, you should see everything correctly on the other end.
    I had the same issue as the original poster and your suggestion worked for me.  Even though my part was designed in Onshape using inches, exporting an STL in millimeters got it into the slicing software correctly.