Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why did "Fixed" parts in an assembly move?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
I created a gear train and "Fixed" all the shafts. I then went to the parts studio and moved several parts and deleted others that are not in the assembly.

When I returned to the assembly, all the parts were still there, but many had moved.

Why would making changes in the parts studio change the relationship of the parts in the assembly?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks for the explanation. This behavior was entirely unexpected. What sense does it make to have a part's position in a Parts Studio have anything to do with its position in an assembly?
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This has benefits of being able to design a Part Studio in context and when inserting everything have them put in the correct place rather than having multiple parts being placed at the origin on top of one another.  

Another area where it is useful is when importing foreign data that will all be moved relative to one another.  For example, if you found a nice x_T file of a ball bearing that you wanted to include in your design.  You could insert it into an assembly, group all of those parts together and treat it as a static element.  If you then modified the size of the bearing, then it would update the positions of the entire piece in the assembly rather than forcing you to go through and mate everything together.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    I am trying to understand this. Thanks.

I am apparently using the Parts Studio differently than you intended.

For example, were I to create a ball bearing from scratch, I would create the individual parts -- ball, inner race, outer race, carrier, rivet -- in a Parts Studio then insert them into an Assembly named Ball Bearing, and mate them appropriately.

I would then expect the ball bearing assembly to remain as I designed it irrespective of any change in the position of the parts in the Parts Studio.

What is the correct way to create a ball bearing?

PS: This forum is WONDERFUL!
  • Options
    Here's a quick example I just made: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/05095da422132c61d8951148/w/26c6cffeb0d4afa605cc3f9a/e/61416b7715fa49c293968c86

Thanks very much, Jake. I now understand.