Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

evaluate UV parameter on surface nearest to point

adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
I have a vertex selection and a surface selection.

I want to find the normal direction of the surface selection at the point nearest the selected vertex, even if that vertex is not touching the surface.

I expect to use the evFaceTangentPlane().normal to find the direction, but evFaceTangentPlane() requires a surface parameter expressed as a UV coordinate.

Any hints appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Ah, beautiful. Thanks! (Might be a good idea to make that more discoverable?)
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Would a link to evDistance from evFaceTangentPlane(s) doc do it or did you have something else in mind? @kevin_o_toole_1

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    I'm not a "real programmer", so reading docs is a stretch for me. I mostly just use the auto-complete in Ace to search for commands that sound like they'll do what I want.

Is it possible to add to the search terms in the editor so that searching for any of the words "nearest point on surface" would suggest evDistance? That kind of thing would help in a lot of places, actually.