Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Notes for workflow and comments for collaborators

curtis_vancuracurtis_vancura OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO

One drawback I see in the cloud approach with Onshape is that there seems to be no area in Onshape where comments and notes can be inserted, except on drawings, which can be quite cumbersome. 

It would be helpful if each part could have a text commentary note page that could be permanently attached to the part to say things about the part in prose format. This would be a good way to record comments for future versions, brainstormed ideas, etc. relating to the part or assembly. Like:

• I (Curtis) think a version of this could be made in a more squared shape to blend in with the more modern fixtures. I shared this with Jason on March 3rd and asked him to review it. –Jason, put your thoughts here, and if you have time design some ideas and send me some sketches, or try something here on another tab.
  • I spoke to Bob on March 3rd, and he said that injection molding this part would probably be better than die casting it, but there would need to be some changes: 1. Xxx, etc.
  • check with vendor x regarding his tolerance capabilities. We may need to loosen this up a bit to compensate so we don’t have interferences.

If there is a way to do this, please let me know, or consider this a feature request.

Can you at least let me create a tab that would work as a text document? That shouldn’t be too difficult… it wouldn’t be attached to a part studio or assembly, or travel along to the links, which is what I would prefer, but it would be a start. 

This feature might be really well accepted for use as a note space for example documents on how a part is made in tutorials (not videos), and public shared documents.

Comments

• Options
    curtis_vancuracurtis_vancura OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
    Thanks. I saw that earlier, and dismissed it as only a limited email conversation. I have now tried it out, and think it will work fine.
  • Options
    james_sleemanjames_sleeman Member, Developers Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Is there any better solution planned than the existing "comments"?

My problem with "comments" is mainly that there is no indication when a comment has been attached to a sketch/workspace etc... until you actually go and open the comments dialog.  

So somebody coming into a part workspace has no indication that there is some explanatory notes for the sketch (or feature or whatever) unless they actually remember (or know in the first instance) to go and open the comments dialog and then they will be able to see which things do or do not have comments.

I really don't understand why this is like that at all, it seems totally nonsensical to actively obscure the fact something has comments on it by hiding the comment icon in the features list unless you specifically open the comments dialog under the (vain) hope that there might be comments in it but you can't see if there are or not until you try it.