Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Introducing Enanced Planes: Make tangent planes much easier!

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
Have you ever wished it was easier to create planes, especially tangent planes?  We're pleased to announce a free public Beta of our Enhanced Planes Featurescript plugin.

With Enhanced Planes, you can create a planes:
  • Normal to edges
  • Tangent to surfaces at a point
  • Tangent to surfaces and aligned with another plane or direction 
  • Arrays of midplanes, both parallel and rotated
  • Arrays of offset planes
  • Plane defined by 1 edge that can define a plane

Read more about it here, or get started right away:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0de04acb5bac92ca16796edf/w/cdd1d1882311084fe54bff24/e/a5d41dfaf231356100c09b1a

We have several other cool addins in our store, including a tool to create 3D points from text, a socket screw creator, and an ansi washer creator. 

http://store.parametricparts.com/products.html

Is there another type of plane you wish was fewer steps to create? Let us know!

Comments

• henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU

Is there another type of plane you wish was fewer steps to create? Let us know!
    This feature worked great, and in answer to the above question, sort of. Here is what I would like as an addition (I know, sort of getting into the OpenSCAD area). I would like a linear/circular pattern combined with tangent planes. In other words, I want to take a surface, give it a starting point, spacing normalized to the surface in 2 dimensions, and have it follow the surface to produce regularly spaces planes. If you see the example below, I used a linear pattern of points on a plane across the spline, and of course it produces a non-regular spacing. But at least the holes are normal to the surface! (without that they won't 3D print correctly)

• dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Oh that's a very interesting idea. Ok, so let make sure I understand:

Inputs:  Surface
                 Point on the surface
                 Linear/circular
                 reference direction line 
                 if circular: 
                      angle from direction [default 360 ]
                      spacing (angular units)
                      count
                 if linear:
                      spacing (length units)
                      # in x
                      # in y

Output:  Tangent planes on surface at each point

Is that about right?

Oh that's a very interesting idea. Ok, so let make sure I understand:

Inputs:  Surface
                 Point on the surface
                 Linear/circular
                 reference direction line 
                 if circular: 
                      angle from direction [default 360 ]
                      spacing (angular units)
                      count
                 if linear:
                      spacing (length units)
                      # in x
                      # in y

Output:  Tangent planes on surface at each point

Is that about right?

Yep. That is perfect. This essentially is the poor man's version of 3D linear pattern since I can then (or haha my interns) copy/past sketches onto each plane to make a normalized set of holes or whatever
    would it be better if I just implemented 3d surface pattern isntead? it seems like a shame to do lots of fancy stuff to create a bunch of planes, which then just results in manual work on each of them....

what if I added an entity selection to the above, and then patterned it onto the planes for you?
    would it be better if I just implemented 3d surface pattern isntead? it seems like a shame to do lots of fancy stuff to create a bunch of planes, which then just results in manual work on each of them....

what if I added an entity selection to the above, and then patterned it onto the planes for you?
    Well yes, that would be even more awesome... :)
    ok. i'll add that my list.  I have a couple of other features in development. I think a parametric surface pattern shouldnt be too difficult. I can't promise anything time-wise, right now i'm working on a text feature for doing text on surfaces, and I'd like to finish that first
    ok. i'll add that my list.  I have a couple of other features in development. I think a parametric surface pattern shouldnt be too difficult. I can't promise anything time-wise, right now i'm working on a text feature for doing text on surfaces, and I'd like to finish that first
    That would have been super helpful for this project
    that's good to know. I've done text before and it is a pain. it is turning out to be pretty non-trivial to do a good job of surface text, but i'm almost there, stay tuned.