Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SolidWorks New Industrial Design Product

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
"My Baby" (I know that sounds arrogant - but don't know how else to put it) is being shown this morning in Phoenix at SWW15.  You can follow tweet and pictures a  thttps://twitter.com/search?q=#sww15&mode=photos  - wish I were there....

Comments

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff Mark.  The sketching looks awesome.  I'm curious to see the merging of subdivision and parametric methods of geometry creation a little more in depth.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    The big question we all have is how much, and just why buy this rather than Power Surfacing (especially if you already have it).

more critically, from an OnShape point of view, is it has a form of branching.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Interesting... Seems like a lot of this stuff (technically) was already in Catia for some time...
    Does the sketching relate to curves? Can the sketch (curves?) be updated to 'drive' the shape? Or is the sketch an initial blueprint to use as a reference for modeling?
    Short question: can the shape be constrained by sketching?

Dries
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    More info...it appears it also runs in a web browser...or at least a version of it does
    edited February 2015
    Things I'm interested in:
    How do these packages string together? It's not uncommon for mechanical and industrial design to run concurrently (e.g. electronics). What would a workflow look like that 'requires' functionality of both packages?
    I think the renaming to SOLIDWORKS (mind the caps) Conceptual Design & Industrial Design is peculiar. How is conceptual design separate from industrial design?
    I'm confused by the 3DEXPERIENCE portfolio.

Dries

@Dries I think Dassault is confused by the 3DexPeriEncE platform. The name did improve slightly from last year. They use SolidWorks in the name because they want SolidWorks customers to move to Catia and Enovia technology, but without those names attached (I think). It's confusing because they don't have a data parity to SolidWorks where features are kept intact, to my knowledge.

@KevinQuigley I saw on a tweeted out pic of a slide that it was complimentary to SolidWorks CAD. That is quite the reversal from last year's steep price on SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual. Still seems very disjointed from SolidWorks the desktop app. File based parametric vs. Browser/databased parametric and direct. I don't see how they make these cohesive enough.

edited February 2015
    Rumored to be priced at $190/month. I would call that very expensive.
    Plus: it's Windows only.

Dries
    edited February 2015
    I did see that $190/month tweet this morning.  Ouch.  Very expensive indeed.  Guess they meant complementary to SolidWorks CAD in a different way!  Well, not much has changed then.  They are very disconnected in a business sense on what their current stable of users would be looking for.  The market is very ripe for Onshape.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Adam O'Hern at SolidSmack has done a review of this product - the most comprehensive I've seen yet. 

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad-design-news/learned-sww15-solidworks-industrial-design/
  • douglas_1douglas_1 Member Posts: 7
    mbiasotti said:
    Adam O'Hern at SolidSmack has done a review of this product - the most comprehensive I've seen yet. 

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad-design-news/learned-sww15-solidworks-industrial-design/
    Great article.  I've been testing Fusion 360 since pretty early and I think it's a very fair comparison.  Fusion has come a VERY long way.  I think 3DS is really out of touch in pricing and what designers really want and need feature-wise.  The pricing is madness as is the marketing of them as companion software.  SW is becoming a dead-end.  It's like when mobile APP devs make a separate "PLUS"  version of their software and charge their customers instead of making their core software better.