Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 7th, 2016

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
edited July 2016 in New in Onshape
Another update is here! Enjoy...
  1. IMPROVED Section View origin snapping and View normal to - you can now drag the origin of the Section View arrow and snap it to any inference point on your model. When a Section View is active you can also right click and select "View normal to" or press n on your keyboard.

https://youtu.be/MBFlI2hqMBc

2. IMPROVED Create a helix from a circular edge and hide all helix features - a further three options have been added to the helix feature to allow you to create a helix from a circular edge or sketch circle: Height and Turns, Height and Pitch, and Turns and Pitch. Also, when you have more than one helix in your Part Studio, you can now right click a helix feature and select: Hide, Hide other helices, Hide all helices, or Show, Show all helices. 

https://youtu.be/DGKKZ4xYEOo

3. NEW Sketch square - you can now create a square while sketching. Create a Corner rectangle or Center point rectangle and hold down the Alt key while dragging the size of the rectangle to create a square. The end result is a rectangle with all sides having equal constraints applied to them.

https://youtu.be/CBT6T48J6TU

4. NEW Default mouse pan, zoom, and rotate options - if you're using Onshape alongside your existing CAD system or you're a seasoned CAD professional moving to Onshape from SolidWorks, NX10, Creo, or AutoCAD, you can now manipulate your model on screen using your preferred mouse button behavior. These settings work in Part Studios, Assemblies, and Drawings. Go to Manage Account under your name in the top right corner and select Preferences.

5. NEW Hide highlighted items - pressing "Y" on your keyboard in a Part Studio or Assembly will hide ANY item that is currently highlighted by either hovering your cursor over it in the graphics area or hovering your mouse over the item in the Part or Feature list. This works with all entity types such as sketches, planes, Parts, Assembly instances etc. You can also multi-select many items and hide them all at once. To show hidden items you can hover your mouse over the item in the Part or Feature list (so that its outline highlights on screen) and press Shift + Y.

https://youtu.be/TRh6fBaVeVU

6. NEW Roll to here - the "Rollback" context menu has been replaced with "Roll to here". When you right click a feature in the Feature list and select "Roll to here", the feature history is rolled back AFTER the selected feature. You can also right click any suppressed feature that appears after the Rollback bar and select "Roll to here" which will roll the feature history forward to after the selected feature. You can of course still use the Rollback bar and "Roll to end" context menu.

https://youtu.be/WI7jysMnsFY

7. NEW Visual indicators for fixed Parts - it is now easier to detect if a Part is fixed in an Assembly. When a fixed Part is selected, no triad will appear so there are no handles to drag. If you try to drag a fixed Part, a fixed symbol appears on the Part and a "No" symbol appears next to your mouse cursor.

https://youtu.be/mOieaJYyMHU

8. NEW Social cue icons on the Documents page - when you select a Document on the Documents page, the Details panel will display social cue icons for all the users who are currently in that Document. Hover your mouse over the icon to see the user's name.

9. NEW Attach Notes with leaders to construction lines in Drawings - you can now attach a note with a leader to a construction line or construction circle in a Drawing.

10. IMPROVED All around and All over GD&T leaders in Drawings - you can now specify if a GD&T control feature applies to a specific area of a part, all around, or all over.

Honorable mentions:
  • NEW You can now select the Origin from the Instance list when creating a Mate Connector in an Assembly. This method of Origin selection creates the Mate Connector on the Z axis of the Origin only.

• NEW You can view the FeatureScript code of any custom features added to your toolbar by right-clicking and selecting "Open linked document". This will take you straight to the Feature Studio in the linked Document. If you want to edit the code you must first make a private copy of the Document.

• IMPROVED The option to "Move selected and this document to trash" has been removed to prevent the accidental deletion of multiple Documents. To delete multiple Documents they must first all be selected, then you can select a gear icon on any of the selected Documents to send them to trash.

• IMPROVED The context menu (right click menu) is now consistent across all entities in Drawings so you can Clear selection, Zoom to fit, or Delete any selected items in a Drawing.

• IMPROVED Extended tooltips have now been added to Drawings.

We hope you enjoy using these new features - as always, all feedback is welcome. Waiting for a particular new feature? Please use the Feedback tool to request it - we're already hard at work on the next round of updates for you!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Nice set of improvements! Keep up the good work!
  • 3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Good stuff Onshape, slipped up on us almost unnoticed again. Great improvements! keep it up.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome updates!  Big thumbs up to the entire Onshape team!
    Special thanks to
     a) Attach Notes with leaders to construction lines in Drawings
     b) Section View origin snapping and View normal to
    Keep up the great work!smile
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great to see lots of those small improvements request rolling in.

Section tool snap, prefect, this will make it easy to position exactly.
    Rollback bar improvement a good step too.
    I really like the y hide but find it hard to stretch for shift y unhide, almost unusable with 1 hand but great concept. 
    I'd would really love to see the fixed parts indicator to be for parts fully locked by mates as well, this would be really useful when checking assy's for degrees of freedom. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice update, thanks.

Plus one for the double tap suggestion.

Cheers,

OS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Just playing with the "Roll To" feature and would like to request a "Roll to beginning". 

I'd like to declare some variables which of course must be declared before they're used, so putting them as the first action seems sensible.  However if we select the first existing action and the roll to the bar is under the first feature.  Selecting the default planes does not give the roll to option.

Tiny detail but thought I'd mention it.

Cheers Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    OMG, "Roll to Here" will save me sooooo much time!! Little things like this make big CAD models much more manageable! Thank you and keep it up!
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    Plus 1 again for the double tap for me!!  Don't tell anyone, but my fingers just aren't that long;)  And I really don't want to use both hands to reach the keys.   The double tap concept does really bring some interesting options such as a single tap 'L' for line but double tap 'L' for construction line!!  And then a single tap again to clear the command.
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I have been waiting for the keyboard shortcuts for "hide" and "show" , now we got them , so nice ! Thanks Onshape Team very much, great updates !
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Great updates! Special thanks for view manipulation options which are very much helpful for new Onshape user who is professional in other CAD system.
  • michael_vmichael_v Member Posts: 3
    Awesome!
    I thought we could actually set up our own preference for view manipulation options. It turns out it's preset groups, So may I suggest one more preset, same as onshape but exchange rotate and pan for 3D (Right click and drag to pan, middle click and drag for rotate)
    That would be similar to sketchup, but improved (right click access to pan, makes more sense than modifier key+drag). Some of us only use keyboards for inputing numbers when it's unfrequently necessary (and so it should be, ano.

Rotate-zoom is the most versatile manipulation IMO, so with simple scroll wheel and drag, one can really do most of the manipulation, When the occasional pan is needed, right button click is there.
  • emerson_botteroemerson_bottero Member, Developers Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I agree with @3dcad the keyboard shortcut position is important. I use to change all my shortucts to the left so I could use only my left hand , another cool feature would be a superbar with one shortcut and it's content changes depending on the situation, sketch, assembly, drawing, etc. And the bar shows on the current mouse position.
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    I agree with @3dcad the keyboard shortcut position is important. I use to change all my shortucts to the left so I could use only my left hand , another cool feature would be a superbar with one shortcut and it's content changes depending on the situation, sketch, assembly, drawing, etc. And the bar shows on the current mouse position.
    I totally agree with you on the superbar idea!! I used SW's toolbar like this and it was very helpful to limit the big mouse moves all over the screen.  I will say. however, that OS has done a really good job of fixed toolbar layout.  I would just like to see those tools pop up where the mouse is when I hit a key on the keyboard/programmed button on my spacemouse.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1
    I agree with superbar / customizable depending on context -bar popup with same keystroke on any workspace. Easier to memorize and I'm running out of buttons in 3d mouse.
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Superbar sounds like an excellent idea
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI