Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Please do something ( even if it is small ) to help tune performance.

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
For complex features, we simply have no reasonable tools to tune performance.

What I've been doing when I need to 'profile' is to put things into a huge loop, and then use a stopwatch. Very time consuming.

Of course profiling is a complex topic, and doing it right is not trivial. 

That said, any of the following  simple changes would be far better than nothing:
  • print the current system time or time since epoc ( to millisecond resolution ) optionally in println
  • print system time or time since epoc in debug
  • add a function now() or System.currentTimeMillis() like in java to get the current time
  • provide a timing function that will run code in a closure and return the execution time
None of these make a reliable profiler, and I get that.  But any of them would be a huge improvement, and far better than nothing.

Comments

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I'd also be interested in this functionality as a step on the way to an actual profiling tool. That being said I see how people who write FeatureScript and also want a profiling capability are probably a small subset of users.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    We've got some profiling work planned soon, but I see the immediate need.  I will do something to make it easier for the next update.
    @lemon1324  the subset of users who want a profiling capability is small, but very important to us -- you guys are making everyone else's Onshape experience better :smile:
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Awesome,Thanks! This will be super helpful!