Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet metal? Thin features?

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
Normally I make extensive use of SolidWorks sheet metal.
How big of a priority is getting sheet metal into Onshape?

In the same context: where are those thin extrudes and thin revolves?? ;)

Dries

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,002
    @DriesV‌ It is definitely on the radar. We are aware of this and I will add you to the request. As far as thin features, you will need to do cross section sketches for now. One thing that is very cool is you can select any planar face and just hit extrude. It uses that selection as a profile.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Lou, the animation really helps. Thanks.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    +1 on Lou's animation! What a great technique to use in a Forum! Lou: do you use Camtasia to capture? Would be great if users could easily do this in both reporting and responding to issues and forum threads.
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Nice!
    Would be cool if you could do that face pulling without i

+1 on Lou's animation! What a great technique to use in a Forum! Lou: do you use Camtasia to capture? Would be great if users could easily do this in both reporting and responding to issues and forum threads.

+1!
    Or maybe some recording into OS??
    Could be really useful for support purposes!

Dries
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Try using Jing. Free, easy, works on Mac and Windows.
  • Options
    I use Snagit and then run it through a tool on the Mac called GIF Brewery. There are a bunch of ways to do GIFs from video. Glad that works well for you guys. I have many more tips to come...
  • Options
    mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    I'm a pathetic old dog - I use Photoshop and Bridge to make my gifs. I'm sure Camtasia and Snagit make it a whole lot easier :p
  • Options
    mbiasotti said:

I'm a pathetic old dog - I use Photoshop and Bridge to make my gifs. I'm sure Camtasia and Snagit make it a whole lot easier :p

Haha @mbiasotti‌ I just try to use what makes it quick so I can quickly record, process and post. ;-)
  • Options
    andrew_schreiberandrew_schreiber Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I'd also suggest http://www.cockos.com/licecap/ as a tool for recording portions of your screen to gif. 

It's pretty bare bones but it works reliably enough for me. 
  • Options
    X3msnakeX3msnake Member Posts: 2
    You can use ActivePresenter free edition too
  • Options
    imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @lougallo any progress on the sheetmetal
  • Options
    john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    @imagineered we're actively working on sheetmetal, stay tuned

• Options
    imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @john_mceleney good to hear - this will be the game changer!
  • Options
    christopher_hiattchristopher_hiatt Member Posts: 1
    @imagineered we're actively working on sheetmetal, stay tuned

Thank you. New user here testing out the product. Had a fit trying to find the sheetmetal features realizing there aren't any. I was about to walk away and never look back.I'll stick around a bit to see what happens with this before I commit to Creo again.
  • Options
    walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    any word on sheetmetal
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 363
    Hi Walter. Onshape's policy is to not provide timelines for upcoming features. We realize how important sheetmetal is to many of our users. We are working on it, but sheetmetal functionality is a substantial addition to Onshape and we want to take the time so that you say "wow" when you use it for the first time. We're not trying to "check the box", we are working on making it a real productivity boost for people that design with sheetmetal.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @john_rousseau
    I appreciate the onshape way of slow cooking features to make sure they are great before releasing them. 

• Options
    walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    thanks john
This discussion has been closed.