Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a 3D axis feature?

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
When making a revolved part with multiple features, I like to use simple sketches and add the features as model features, not in the sketch. However, every feature sketch requires that I add a revolve axis in the sketch, which gets very redundant. Is there a 3D axis command that I am not aware of that could be used as a common revolve axis? I would love an infinitely long axis that could be made by using the intersection of planes or a point and a plane. In fact, in the sketching environment I would rather create an infinitely long centerline or reference line rather than having to dimension the length of a construction line to do the same.

Brian

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe because sketches are "consumed" after a revolve or extrude and are hidden from view and hence from selecting.
  • Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    There isn't any 3D axis command that I am aware of currently.

It is possible to use a a line from previously created sketches as the axis for a revolve. What you could do is to just draw the axis on the first sketch and when you need to do a revolve on that axis, show that sketch and click on the axis line.

Another possibility would be to create a sketch that has just the axis line, label it as 'Axis' so that it is easy to find later, and it will be readily available when you need it for a revolve or to dimension to it from other sketches.
    It is somewhat annoying that the line has to be on a separate sketch, and that the primary axis lines for the cardinal planes don't work...
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1 3D axis feature 
    +1 Axes temporary
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    It is somewhat annoying that the line has to be on a separate sketch, and that the primary axis lines for the cardinal planes don't work...
    +1