Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Custom tapped holes?

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I am trying to make a tapped hole with a non-standard countersink. I select an ANSI standard, tapped hole and turn on countersink. If I edit the countersink diameter or angle to meet my needs, the hole changes to custom and cannot be tapped. Why? Before I started teaching, the company I worked for had its own standards for adding countersinks on the entry side of tapped holes to act as assembly aids, not for the head of a screw. That is what I want but cannot achieve with the hole tool. I can kludge something by using the chamfer tool, but I want the dimensions to be the diameter and the included angle, not the depth and half angle of the countersink.

Can this be done and I am just missing something? Or is this another yet reason to not switch my class over to OS from Creo?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ brian_brady  ,Onshape itself decides the drill/tap diameter, counter sink diameter, counter angle as per the standard you selected and according to the size you given.So for Standards holes you need to give information from the drop down menu,according to this input onshape decides the numerical value as per the standard.
    When you change the numerical value it will not obey the standard which you selected hence it is turning to custom.For your need you need custom size so you can enter the tap diameter,counter diameter, counter angle and hole depth manually.Since there is no cosmetic/model in thread and no hole callouts for drawing,taped hole and drilled hole doesn't make any change.

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I guess since you cannot use dimensions and conditions applied during the design process to define drawing dimensions, then having correct thread callouts does not matter. You have to manually create thread and hole notes in drawings and update them manually if the design changes. This whole drawing to model design intent disconnect really bothers me. Models and drawings should have 2-way associativity, but they don't in OS.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ brian_brady , Thank you for your feed back.Definitely in future Onshape will have this.You can raise a ticket for improvement request.