Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft between shells

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I have another model with two shells similar to the below.   I can't figure out what's the proper way to loft between the two shelled objects?

In the example below the shells are equal thickness to simplify.  But in my model they very slightly. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi.

I did something similar here, to loft between the round and rectangular sections of this nozzle:-

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7c0a2481aa3f1113d332b2f7/w/f9b54685b68dbcdc7da37be4/e/ae56286643e5d47f70c256d5

OS currently can't loft a sketch with a hole in it.  So the trick was to loft two solids (an inner and outer generated on their own sketches) and then boolean subtract the inner from the outer.)

I'm sure there are other approaches too.

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    @owen_sparks Thank you for the suggestion.  That worked great and was just what I was looking for. Thank you!
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Thank you for posting. There are a couple of ways of doing this;
    1) Create a body be lofting between the outer profiles. Create a body by lofting between the inner profiles. Subtract inner from outer.
    2) Loft between the outer profiles and (assuming constant wall thickness), shell the resultant body
    3) Submit an enhancement request for lofting nested profiles :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    @philip_thomas .  #1 worked well per the suggestion @ the top.  I will submit #3
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks gents.

@philip_thomas can I raise an improvement request for automating improvement requests?  I'm thinking OS could monitor my blood pressure or swearing level and if a threshold is reached then an animated icon (almost exactly unlike the Microsoft Paperclip) could pop up and ask if I'd like to submit something?

I think you could create a really funky character by amalgamating Pete's head, Cody's beard, Illya's arms etc...

Owen S.
    [Sarcasm Mode /off]  :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - you are clearly having too much fun! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape