Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to create a ring (jewelry) with a varying cross-sectional profile (varying height and/or width)

DavidPhillipsDavidPhillips Member, Developers Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in Community Support
I'm new to CAD/OnShape, trying to do as stated in the title. I am not sure if there is a standard way of designing a shape like this, but ideally I'd like to specify multiple profiles around the band of the ring (say, at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees) to sweep between (interpolating the shape of the resulting solid between each profile) along the path that the band defines (typically a circle). The problem is I understand that OnShape does not currently support sweeping through multiple profiles (just one profile that is used for the entirety of the sweep). Is there a solution to this problem, or perhaps a different way entirely that is generally used for constructing a ring model?

An alternative approach that I've dabbled in which may be the way to go is to sketch the side profile of the ring as a circle for the inner edge, and a spline for the outer edge to allow for arbitrary depth of the band (ie distance between the spline and inner circle). This encloses a surface between hte spline and circle which can then be extruded to produce a solid ring band (though I would then need to figure out how to vary the height of extrusion so that the both the depth *and* width of the final band can be customized...)

Thanks,
David
Clara.io Developer

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry just rereading your post again, you may also wish to look into using variables to define some of the dimensions of your ring.  It's then as easy as changing a couple of numbers to rebuild the model to different finger sizes / profiles.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • DavidPhillipsDavidPhillips Member, Developers Posts: 8
    edited September 2016
    Thank you very much for you response (and the welcome), Owen. I had actually tried the loft tool but wasn't able to get a satisfactory result. But I just discovered the "Guides" option which indeed allows me to use the band path (circle or whatever) to perform a fully cyclic lofting with smooth continuity around the band! I'll have to check out featurescript... I get the feeling tools like multi-plane may help my workflow a lot. Thanks again.
    Clara.io Developer
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @david_phillips715
    No problem, happy to help.  
    BTW did you accidentally "vote down" my answers or did someone think my answers were rubbish?  :'(  I find myself surprisingly upset to have received them!  Grrr.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • DavidPhillipsDavidPhillips Member, Developers Posts: 8
    Hi @david_phillips715
    No problem, happy to help.  
    BTW did you accidentally "vote down" my answers or did someone think my answers were rubbish?  :'(  I find myself surprisingly upset to have received them!  Grrr.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Oh dear, I think that was me by mistake (odd, I could swear I remember clicking "Vote Up"). Indeed I meant to upvote. Should be fixed now  :). Have a nice day.
    Clara.io Developer
  • brian_sweetbrian_sweet Member Posts: 10
    I am super new to 3D printing and CAD, but love it.  So i am tying to make a simple ring with diamond cut outs.  It was easty to do an offset plane and extrude out the one diamonds.  Now I am trying to figure out how do do that all the way around.  Played with the Circular Pattern but that was not working.

That is my work in progress. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/665c0ed5ebd690d47908381b/w/8d731be1cdd8f44a59e9eede/e/0157ae2f40c73d8a1d0e4ec2
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Some hint's. I took your document and made something different
    Take a look at Part studio 2, a small example of what you can do with configuration's
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cb5ba6d3468bcb20b1ed913e/w/cf9836594bd912bfce6de8d2/e/a834ffc829659b3ce65a123b