Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why do dimensions and C/L refs. spontaneously turn orange (invalid)

michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hello All

Does anyone else experience this frustrating issue in Drawings?  On re-opening a Document and resuming drawings, I find occasionally that previously defined dims. and refs. become invalid, and highlighted orange.

Thanks
Michael

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @michael_hasson, When an underlying Part Studio or Assembly of a drawing is changed, the drawing may need to be updated, as indicated by the active (the inactive icon is grayed out, as you may expect). Changes that trigger this condition may be seemingly insignificant, like moving a sketch dimension or hiding a construction plane in a Part Studio. To understand better why this button is active, check the History of the document to view recent changes.

Note that this action only updates drawing views, nothing else in the drawing or document, and does not check for updated links to other documents.

1. Click .
    2. Refresh your browser to regenerate the drawing.
    3. Check the drawing for any issues.

At times, the update might not work seamlessly and an added entity (a dimension, for example) may turn red because it might be broken (or dangling).

You can fix a broken dimension by clicking the grip point and dragging it to where it should be. This is perfectly normal, especially if the change to the part or assembly was significant.

Tips

Given that a drawing may need to be updated as a result of a small change in a document (see above), you may want to 'lock down' a drawing so the Update button will not highlight. Simply version the document: this freezes the drawing in its current state and you can then mark the drawing's state as Released in the version.

• michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks very much, @viru

I should have been clearer in my original post, sorry!  I am finding this to occur even in the complete absence of changes to the underlying parts.
    You make a very good point about versioning, though.

Regards
    Michael