Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Propeller loft

jordi_medellinjordi_medellin Member Posts: 19
edited October 2016 in Community Support
Hi, I am trying to loft this propeller. I have 4 vertices on the ellipses and did guides matching the vertices. When I loft ellipse to ellipse, it works, but when I try the guides, it disappears. The link to it is attached.

If someone could please give me a hand, I would appreciate it.

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Here is my take on it: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e1bcdde8f0ada84407f4e2de/w/ab9fce4ec8cf12f29b2e8324/e/9aaf7ea028e83ba53449902e

Be sure to double check that you are putting the guidelines in the guides field and not accidently making any selection while still in the field for the loft profiles. The link to your document never made it in the post so if you share it here we can better diagnose where things went wrong for you.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• duane_1duane_1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    A little different method to allow some design flexibility, set-up multiple stations down the length of the blade.  At each station the foil, cord, and angle can be modified.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56f7e260a8e72df2ad8b36ea/w/874eff4410864fa69b80adb1/e/84c3d937daa799638b03c48d
  • jordi_medellinjordi_medellin Member Posts: 19
    Very nice! Thank you for that. For each of the foil drawings, did you have to draw a new one every time? How were you able to keep the same foil shape throughout? Another question, say I want to make the the edge of the blade to have some curvature kind of like this picture. Would I just make the foils bigger/smaller accordingly, or could I draw a guide? I wonder of the guide way too, to learn from it too.

Thank you for your help all!

edited December 2016
    Also, Duane, I noticed you put a variable on the blade practice part. What is that for?
  • duane_1duane_1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Jordi,

Find out by editing the variable. :)

Concerning the foil, I imported a  foil feature script that was created and shared, by a kindly person.  At each station, drew the cord line  by length and set the angle. Then used the feature script to auto draw the selected foil on the cord line.

Right now it works best with the same foils.  I think because that have the same number of vertices to spline across.  The foils loaded in the script have varying number of spline point.  It will still work with different foil, just have to re-loft stations after the making a change.

Later on, I have some different foils to load into the feature script.   When I create the different foils, I'll make sure that have the same number of spline points, and see if it works any better.

Have fun

Duane
    Thank you Again, now, how do I copy that foil, and how to I import that type of drawing (what is that called?). 

Thank you,