Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Negative Mold

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I need to create a negative mold of this fan duct which will then be used with simscale to simulate airflow and improve the duct.
How can I create a negative of this shape?  Any suggestions on where to start?
doc @ https://cad.onshape.com/documents/14f3d01d62b5237f728896c5/w/40e0afc950b8ca0dfecf9ef8/e/f3ea28b89020464ba125df5d.

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I tried that, but maybe my box wasn't setup right, I'll try it again

UPDATE.  that worked.  I had to sketch a box at the bottom and top of the duct, then loft between them to get the right shape.
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'm also working on a cooling solution for my 3D printer, and I've also thought about using Simscale, but it seems a bit difficult to get going (because of the sheer complexity). I hadn't really thought about creating a negative to get a representation of just the internal shape, though. Now that I think about it, it seems obvious, so thank you for the tip.  :-)

Please update this thread with your progress on using Simscale for this, if you don't mind.

Will do. I actually just imported the step file into simscale and started the mesh translation process.  I'll post any updates!
    I'm likely continuing this topic with the SimScale team @ https://www.simscale.com/forum/t/eniac40-layerfan-simulation-project-by-shaiss/47743 incase your interested 
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @shai_perednik: Thanks, I will follow that thread with interest.