Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Chess anyone?

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
edited August 2014 in Using Onshape
Just had a game of chess with Jon. Of course he kicked my butt but it was fun and identified some enhancement requests.
Anyhow set up a branch copy and have a live game with someone, it works great.
It's in Public Models and called CHESS
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e8e79d1385fd4c78be414f6c/w/6a751b49574c41e78643ed24
note: more board games to follow

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I tried playing but was unable to make changes to the public version. I was able to copy your branch first move.

Can you discuss what you are able to do to a public file since you are the author? Seems like some public files have write access and others don't.

What powers does branching give you?

Can you give an individual in the public domain rights. How do you know they are there. Can someone knock and ask for permissions?

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    You can copy this model then you have one that you can use for yourself and edit. However I can 'invite' you to come and edit the model. At that point you can make branches. See: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#sharedocuments.htm and https://cad.onshape.com/help/#versionmanager.htm

The power of branches is locking down a key point in time and then you can continue on or make a new branch with different edits all together. Think, say, a camera model assembly, you can have one stock model, then you can have a telephoto model in another branch, and a wide angle in another.

Have you had a tour of the system?

FYI If you can send me your email (that you used to sign up to the system with) I can invite you to edit the chess set to get a better idea.

With the chess set, branches let us have different games and document them. Huh, this gave me an idea that it should be possible to have a tournament and have the branches keep score :)

I am not with Onshape so you may want to ask around a bit as I am not as knowledgeable as they are...
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Could you start a game with one person, branch the 1st move and play another person? Do it again and play another person?

To have a tournament, you have to give rights to 2 people and let them play.

Your chess model is the perfect collaborative scenario and easily explainable to an outsider, you in sales? I see why you won, good job.

billc@rndengineering.com

Yes branching could work that way. Yes you would have to give edit rights to the players in that instance. However if someone copied the public file they would be able to edit and such like they are the administrator of the new file.

Oh and no I did not win, I was slaughtered by JonH :)

No Bill I am but a humble freelance CAD modeler, no sales. Background in Aeronautical Engineering.
    Chess set is now shared with you and I gave you the rights 'Can edit and chare'
    Have fun!
    I didn't mean to poke fun at the slaughter match, but was referring to the weekly part challenge.

Ok so I got your invite and let me show you what happen:
    1. 1st, I copied your public version a couple of days ago and it's in my documents:

I'm thinking this is my copy and it's independent of yours.

2. I got your link and it went into my shared folder:

What's interesting is that the shared clobbered my document and now they are the same (shared=my documents). Maybe my copy wasn't really mine.

3. If I go to the public version, it's the same as the shared & my documents

So all these chess documents I have access to are the same?

Because you shared with me, I can now create a branch:

I see the game you and Jon played. You only got 2 pawns?

I'm concerned because my original copy got clobbered, meaning it's copied by reference and not by value (it's not an independent copy, but a pointer to the original). Is this right? I have a chess in my documents, shared & public and they are all pointers to one chess document?

When I was changing the copy before accepting your shared invite, it didn't update the public chess. It was only after I accepted your invite that all became in sync.

So if you copy a public document it's yours, but if you accept a share version then the copied version is over written by the shared version?

I think this is all correct and I like it, I think.
    edited August 2014
    I am not convinced you did copy to be honest. If you made a copy the stock name would be 'a copy of...' or something like that, unless you changed the name. Did you open the document and under the Onshape logo there is a stack of paper icon that when clicked shows 'copy':

was that how you copied? Did you rename it? if you did lets get Onshape to look into it as the shared version should be a unique instance as I understand it. I even made a copy of one public file and kept the name the same as the original and it is unique. The kinimatics in the screen cap below.

You can see this by clicking on the version tree and it will be parred down to the version of the original document you copied. See here:

Annnnd for what it is worth I got one of Jon's Bishops too, it is behind the feature list.... But that barely makes up for the fact that he kicked my butt :) LOL
    I couldn't do anything to your public file. It's strange because some you can modify and others you can't.

And yes I made a copy of chess from the public view and yes it did show up in my documents and no it didn't add 'copy of' to the name.

I had an independent copy of chess until I clicked on the link you sent me.

Once I clicked the link, I got one in my shared folder.

All chess documents in public, my documents & shared are the same.

This is all confusing, I read the manual last night, but that didn't help.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on how this should work.

I see the bishop, good job!
    Definitely put this in as a support issue. Click on the question mark and choose 'feedback'
    Stuff like this they have to know about and have it in the right place like their feedback database.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Ben I think I got lucky in our chess match. Or maybe it was my high school chess team experience. Or maybe you were just being nice :-)

Bill did you ever track down this Copy issue? If this was indeed a bug then we *really* want to find it and fix it.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2014
    @bill‌ Public docs are read-only to everyone except the explicit shared users. Public documents also can be copied to your Documents and modified as they were your own. This is to avoid a number of people piling into a doc with write access. It would leave a pretty easy vector to load something with 1000 of edits for no specific reason.

It might require us to explain it better.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited September 2014
    @bill‌ I am looking into the copy issue a bit. When you have a moment, can you please make a copy of a public doc and see if Onshape prepends "Copy of.." as the default name? In Onshape it is possible to have two documents with the same name. Thx.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
    @Jon, no I gave up for now.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work and therefore it's too hard trying to figure out if it's working. I read the manual a copy of times and I'm still not sure what's going on.

The chess game is a good collaboration and is easily understood, but it's not real. I'm more interested in having multiple engineers work on a project together.

I haven't had time to play with spending most of my getting Z to be up in my current design.

Lou-

It seemed to work like you are describing and I did make a copy which was my own.

Now let's go one step further, Ben gave me rights to play him a game which ended up in my shared folder.

My versions:
    1. I have a public version with no rights
    2. I have a shared version with rights
    3. I have a my documents version with rights.

What happened to these 3 versions when Ben sent me a link to the shared version?

They all went to the public version. I had requested the 1st move branch, but got the root. I lost the changes made in the my document version which surprised me.

Seems like I should now have 3 independent versions of the game, but I don't think that's so. I can't figure out the behavior from the manual so I kinda gave up.

I gotta get back to creating my 1st feature in OS while not bitch'n about this & that. I did get my geometry flipped. Yeah!