Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how best to use assemblies

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Community Support
I'm developing a model for a 74 gun ship from days of sail. I have a part studio which will contain the keel and other skeletal features. I created a hull document to lay off the hull profiles at each station. I did this approach because my part studio tree was getting long and cumbersome and because the hull studio made it easier to lay off the profiles, it was just cleaner in my mind to do it this way. I only have a few profiles started and was looking for away to add my profiles to the assembly and see the overall progress. I recently asked OS support how to add my sketches to my assembly and received a reply about using derived sketches. So I asked for an explanation 

"The missing piece for you is to only use your assembly for motion. You would use a part studio to do your assembly layout. You could derive sketches into the part studio where your product layout is occurring. This would be a good topic for the forums to see how people are approaching their designs using Onshape. I know of at least a few people that are using the method I just described. Those people are also on the forums quite a bit." 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dc1712de51714aaf81b70417/w/155bffad7ba247e59f37be9a/e/76a9d0eddf1e447aa004416e

Am I using OS correctly.
Do you agree with OS reply?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Hey @don_howe we have actually released the ability to insert sketches and surfaces into assemblies: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/whats-new-in-onshapes-latest-update-09/15/2016.

When I went to go view the document you have linked, it was unable to open. It looks like you may have removed the sharing permissions. Let me know if that link helps or if you need further help.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    @don_howe, I've worked with a few models where the tree grew way too big, so I began to apply a "leapfrogging" approach.  Make a judicious choice of a key part in a parts studio and derive it into a new PS, then grow the model further from that part in the new PS.  Keep the studios open in separate tabs.  You can then create a complete assembly by inserting the entire studios and removing the redundant part.  The smaller trees are easier to manage.