Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape suddenly reports WebGL is not enabled in Chrome. Is this a bug?

doug_curtisdoug_curtis Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Have been using onshape for a good while with no issues.  Suddenly today when I attempted to go into a document it responded
"It looks like your browser doesn't have WebGL enabled. Click here for more information."
After searching for what was going on, I have finally confirmed that WebGL is indeed enabled (Using chrome://gpu in the address bar, it shows WebGL is hardware accelerated).  I even updated the graphics driver for my Nvidia 8500 GT.  Granted it's an older card but as I said, it has worked fine up until today.

So is this a bug with the latest update to onshape?   Need help.  I can't get to my work at all.

ANY input is much appreciated.

Doug

Answers

• Options
    paul_premakumarpaul_premakumar Member Posts: 7
    Can you try opening  https://get.webgl.org/ ? Do you see a spinning cube? 

Other questions :
    1. What operating system are you on?
    2. Are you able to access Onshape using another browser?
    3. Did you recently update your browser?
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited October 2016
    Try it in another browser. This most likely is not an Onshape issue but rather a browser issue. As @paul_premakumar pointed out more information will be helpful
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    Running Win 7 pro.  Only other browser I have installed right now is IE which isn't supported by onshape.  Guess I will have to try installing a different browser.  I have not actively updated chrome.  I was using onshape to edit my project just this past Thursday and haven't done anything to the system other than update my video driver today in an attempt to resolve the issue.

And no, the spinning cube did not appear so I concur that it is not an onshape issue.  Maybe I will just uninstall chrome and reinstall and see what that does first.  Not really wanting a bunch of browsers cluttering up my system.

I did make a bug report to google about the issue but I figure I will be lucky if I hear back at all.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will update this post once I have tried a reinstall of chrome and/or an alternate browser.

Doug

• Options

After additional research, I discovered that the WebGL feature of chrome is subject to just up and stop working for no apparent reason.  I found several other posts in assorted places that detailed the same condition. Even when the settings show hardware acceleration to be enabled, it does not work. In most cases, google advised the user to do all the standard work (reboot, reinstall, update, etc. etc.) to no avail.  Their final suggestion was to install chrome canary along side standard chrome as it was the latest beta version and would have all the most recent, yet to be distributed, updates. In other words, they don't know why it quit working and they are not going to put any effort into figuring it out.

To that end, I have installed firefox which works fine (maybe even a little better than chrome did) and will uninstall chrome.  Don't have time to continue to troubleshoot something that isn't working when there is a working alternative available.

• Options
    Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I had the same issue this morning; got prompted when opening my first document. I was able to use Safari instead without any problem regarding to WebGL.
  • Options
    paul_premakumarpaul_premakumar Member Posts: 7
    This is a Chrome issue : https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=656989. We added a comment as well. For now use another supported browser such as Firefox or Safari. Thanks.
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I also got this issue today, probably because Chrome has auto-updated. In the thread that @paul_premakumar links to, there is a suggested workaround to add a command line argument to Chrome:
    --disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample
    This fixes the issue for me, but I expect the Chrome developers to fix the issue so that we don't have to use this workaround.
  • Options
    eric_juveeric_juve Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I had Chrome break today as well and adding the " --disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample" fixed it for me. I am running windows 7. Simply right click on the Chrome shortcut , open the properties tab and cut and paste the command line argument to the end of the target entry.
  • Options
    nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 25 PRO
    WebGL has stopped working in Chrome for me as well.  This happened as a new Chrome update was installed (Version 54.0.2840.87 m).  We tried to go back to the previous version but without success.  Currently using Firefox as a workaround.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    nick_lumb said:
    WebGL has stopped working in Chrome for me as well.  This happened as a new Chrome update was installed (Version 54.0.2840.87 m).  We tried to go back to the previous version but without success.  Currently using Firefox as a workaround.
    Unfortunately we've had a couple reports of this with Chrome 54.  If you are still interested in using Chrome, I would suggest adding the flag that eric_juve referenced above (--disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample).
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    eric_juveeric_juve Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I need to retract my comment earlier about the fix being adding 
     " --disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample" to the command line as it no longer seems to be working for me. I had to go back to using Firefox which runs fine but is not my default browser. If I find another workaround I will post it to this thread. Sorry about the false information, but I'm not sure yet why it stopped working.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Every time a problem like this happens due to a browser change, it makes me think that Onshape needs to create a branded browser based on a stable version of Chrome or Firefox. They could strip away all non-essential features and extra trim. Push browser updates as necessary but not until they know the updates won't break Onshape. Almost like the tablet and phone apps. They are essentially browsers that will only connect to Onshape.com. 
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I also got this issue today, probably because Chrome has auto-updated. In the thread that @paul_premakumar links to, there is a suggested workaround to add a command line argument to Chrome:
    --disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample
    This fixes the issue for me, but I expect the Chrome developers to fix the issue so that we don't have to use this workaround.
    Thanks very much for sharing this. But honestly I am not sure how it can be done. Is it possible for you to share the steps to be followed in this?  I faced similar web GL issue repetitively but could not solve even after updating the drivers, finally it got solved after installing the updates in Windows 7. For now I always run the updates on daily basis to avoid the issue. But I think its annoying to run daily updates without any major upgrade. Hope Chrome developers will fix the issue. Many thanks again.
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @shashank_aarya : What you do is to right-click the Chrome shortcut (could be in the start menu or on the desktop), and go to properties. Then you add the quoted command flag after the ending double quote sign (i.e you tag it at the end of whatever is there) in the target box, like so:

Please remember that the fix is then only applied to this specific shortcut. If you have multiple shortcuts to Chrome (for instance both in the start menu and the desktop), it will only work for those you have edited.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    benjamin_lambertbenjamin_lambert Member Posts: 1
    I also recently ran in to this problem last week. What worked for me was to go to chrome://flags and enable Override software rendering list (for me it was the first one on the list). Then I relaunched Chrome and all worked well.

Hope this helps and is an easy fix for you.
  • Options
    ales_1ales_1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I also recently ran in to this problem last week. What worked for me was to go to chrome://flags and enable Override software rendering list (for me it was the first one on the list). Then I relaunched Chrome and all worked well.

Thank you, that works. My chrome version is 
    Verze 55.0.2883.87.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Thanks
    øyvind_kaurstad @benjamin_lambert It works good!
  • Options
    ridde_jocelynridde_jocelyn Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I had exactly the same problem. The question is finally found on the USB DisplayLink for an additional screen that I connected. I then disconnected the USB DisplayLink and use only the screen and graphic card of my laptop. All returned to normal.  Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    Jeran_CloeteJeran_Cloete Member Posts: 2
    @benjamin_lambert

This solution worked for me.

benjamin_lambert said: