Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

OBJ import

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
edited April 2018 in Community Support
I'm having a great deal of trouble with OBJ import. When importing the document tab shows up and the dialogue box says the the import is complete and yet no tab with the OBJ object appears.
I'm afraid I don't know how to add the OBJ file (4.5Mb)

Answers

• JAMES_SOLIDPROFESSORJAMES_SOLIDPROFESSOR Member Posts: 7
    Hi I wanted to try to help you out a bit if possible! I typically don't work with OBJ files, but wanted to try it out myself to see how Onshape handles the file type. I was able to import and open a OBJ file successfully! Here's what I did:

1. From the main documents page, I clicked on the Import icon 

2. Select the OBJ file and open it.

3. I received a "Import: Translation Complete" message, indicating that the OBJ translated correctly to a viewable Onshape document.

4. From here, I opened up the document and was able to view the model. Note here, the model I imported came in as an imported mesh body. This means you won't be able to work with solid modeling features. If you're looking to work with a solid model, I did a little research and the following application may help you out (can't guarantee if it will convert it properly):

http://www.resurf3d.com/Objmesh2solid.htm

5. Nonetheless, I hope you can follow this process and get it to work! If you'd like to try it just as I did, I provided a link to the document I used to import the model. Hopefully at least that works for you.

https://grabcad.com/library/thor-7

Best of luck!
    James Jepsen
    Content Services Manager, SolidProfessor

Interested in improving your CAD skills?
    www.solidprofessor.com
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    edited December 2016
    Hi James,
    I do follow your workflow and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried files direct from a scanner and also via meshmixer, meshlab and netfabb. The only solution that seems to work a little better is to convert the file it IGES which make for a very large file, anywhere around 80-90Mb.
    Strangely the really large files, one of which was an elephant at 235Mb, worked without issue.
    I have tried with open meshes (STLs) and also meshes that I have fixed in the above programs to make them water-tight.
    I am baffled and rather frustrated. My work around is to take the STLs/OBJs into other CAD packages, Vectorworks, Solidworks, Geomagic and then import the parts from Onshape....very messy really but I don't see why other programs can read the scan data but Onshape can't.
  • cesar_orantescesar_orantes Member Posts: 2 EDU
    hi, did you find a solution? i'm trying to import an .obj file, on shape uploads it but thet the translation is failed, it's maybe too heavy?