Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to apply a varying fillet on a complex curve [loft]?

cameron_mcknight_macneilcameron_mcknight_macneil Member Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in Community Support
I am recreating a belt sheave from a historical (1909) hand drafted drawing. Where the curved spokes meet the hub there is heavy filleting. Image below:
The original drawing specifies a different curve for each side of a spoke where it meets the hub, as seen in the image below. Problem areas circled in yellow.

Question: is there a way to apply a different 'fillet' to each edge here? right now the modeller treats them as a single edge because they don't intersect anything else.

Or a fillet with a varying radius?

Or some other way to draw this?
After doing some more reading it looks like a loft is the way to do this right now in OnShape. See below:

Now what I'm having trouble with is how to get the loft to go to a single point at the midpoint of the edge to avoid a self-intersecting body.

Thanks,

Cameron.

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Just an idea: have you tried the conic fillet option (in fillet)?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. Playing with conic seems to allow me to change the shape of the curve, but not vary the radius.

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried reproducing your issue, but I don't see the same problem. I think your spokes are just a touch thinner than your center hub. Because of this, there is not an actual "point" separating the two sides of the spoke at the spoke/hub junction. It's probably just one long tangent line. If you take a look at the model I recreated, if your spokes are the same thickness as your hub, Onshape seems to have no trouble applying two different fillets of varying size to the two different sides.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/320547ab844f214e90595be2

• Options
    Mahir, thanks for encouraging me to go back and check that obvious thing! The plane for the sketch was slightly inside of the outer radius of the hub, and so the taper of the spoke meant that it was narrower by the time it broke through the surface. Thus, it was the single line.

All fixed now, thanks again!