Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Concurrent login limit?

luke_jaeger100luke_jaeger100 Member Posts: 30 EDU
edited December 2016 in Community Support
Hello, I'm going to be teaching an introductory CAD workshop (14 students) next week using Onshape. Instead of spending class time on getting 14 individual accounts set up, we thought we'd set up one generic account and log into it on all the classroom computers, so it will be ready to go when the workshop starts. Will this work? Is there a limit on concurrent logins to the same account? 

Each student will create and edit their own document - it's not going to be a 14-person collaboration - that would be a train wreck.

Best Answer

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    I would suggest creating a team and then inviting each student to the team with their email. This will allow them to set up their accounts before class (and you can give them explicit instruction as well). The account setup process is extremely quick: https://www.onshape.com/edu/students

This will actually serve 2 purposes: 
    1) You can now share any documents/examples with the entire class by sharing with the team
    2) They will have the opportunity to stay independent but still collaborate with you and other classmates. I view this to be important especially when they discover how powerful Onshape is and ultimately want to have their own accounts to work with.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Il add, I have done several classes like this. Where the whole class showed up without any preparation ahead of time.  And its very easy and fast for each user to get their own individual account. Takes less than a few minutes at best. Then they are all equipped on their own as well.  They just need an email account.
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • luke_jaeger100luke_jaeger100 Member Posts: 30 EDU
    update: we did the workshop with everyone opening their own account, and it didn't take up too much of the class time.
  • Dave_CorcoranDave_Corcoran Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @luke_jaeger100 how did the class go otherwise?
  • luke_jaeger100luke_jaeger100 Member Posts: 30 EDU
    It was great! Really a very intro-level overview of CAD concepts and basic terms & skills. But everyone got a taste of what's possible. We'll see what they end up doing with it.