Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I can't edit my private documents

I haven't been on OnShape in a while, so maybe I missed an update, but I've been trying to continue a project that I started back in October but in the top right there's a message that says that the document is view only.  I have a free membership so that could be it but I just don't know.

Answers

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    OnShape dropped support for private documents in Free Plans somewhere around the middle of December.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5070/changes-to-onshapes-plans/p1

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @dina_alfarone, Previously Free Plan users can edit their private data but from December 15, 2016 Onshape done some changes in free subscription plan. The free subscription is recommended for individuals who wish to try Onshape; students, educators, makers, and anyone wishing to use a professional CAD system for free, but are not interested in working with (creating or sharing) private documents.Now you can find below observation.
    • You cannot create any private documents.
    • Any private documents shared with you will be available as view only (non-editable).
    • You can create as many public documents as you wish.
    • You can upgrade to a Professional subscription at any time without fear of losing any data at all.

1) Unlimited Public Storage in Free Plan:- For public and open source CAD users - as mentioned earlier, Onshape is removing the 5 GB limit on Public Documents in Free Plan. You can now use as much Onshape public data storage as you’d like.

2) Private Editing Removed From Free Plan:- Onshape’s Free Plan will no longer include any Private Document creation or editing (Free Plan users can continue to view Private Documents). Although this news may disappoint some users, the purpose of our Free Plan has always been focused on meeting the needs of hobbyists, makers and open source designers.

At any time, You can activate a 21-day trial of Onshape Professional Plan (which now provides unlimited Private storage and editing).

viru said:

At any time, You can activate a 21-day trial of Onshape Professional Plan (which now provides unlimited Private storage and editing).

Can trials be done just once?  Can free plan user with pre-December 15 2015 private documents do a trial and still access the now locked private documents?
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    viru said:

Can trials be done just once?  Can free plan user with pre-December 15 2015 private documents do a trial and still access the now locked private documents?
    If trials could be done multiple times, it would really violate the whole "trial" concept, so I'd be really surprised if that was possible. I think it's safe to answer no to that question...

And since the trial is a trial of the Pro plan, you will be able to edit (the now locked) private documents.
    øyvind_kaurstad  - that's what I figured but wanted to nail down that detail.

Looks like we have a one-time shot at editing and migrating private document parts, drawings, and other Onshape files in our original free plan accounts.  That's good to know.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    And if you really need that 30 day shot with $125 you get it when needed. Not good for half hour per day hobby but pretty nice for short projects.
    //rami
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Just to be clear - FREE users now have unlimited public documents and all storage limits have been removed.
    This solidifies Onshape as the only full-cloud professional grade 3D cad system for hobbyists and other non-professional users.

If you have an account that contains read-only private documents - they are safe and private.

If you are a hobbyist and would like to continue editing them, from your 'documents' page, RMB over the document and select 'Make Public' - that's it, you just carry on using Onshape for free.

If you would like to export your documents without first making them public, please feel free to sign up (instant approval) for a free 21 day trial of Onshape professional (same functionality, unlimited private documents, no storage limits).

If you would like to upgrade to Onshape Professional, you can do that directly from your documents page.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Philip

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas: Using a bold typeface doesn't really cut it here. It is absolutely free, including free for anyone to copy anything a Free plan user would create, thereby making it useless for anything a hobbyist would like to keep private. I get that Onshape doesn't get it, but this change made Onshape way less attractive for a whole lot of hobbyists and makers. You make a point about the storage limit being lifted, but the previous limit of 5 GB was good enough for most Free plan users, so in my opinion the limit removal is just Onshape's way of trying to sugarcoat the cyanide pill.

I still wish Onshape all the best, but personally I've stopped using it, and I no longer recommend it to fellow hobbyists and makers. And I'm not alone either, at least one of the most prominent 3D-printing Youtube channels which previously gave Onshape some free publicity now has stopped mentioning it. And the reason given was this plan change.
  • miguel_silva737miguel_silva737 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Signed in for education and now can not edit any works!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @miguel_silva737 - were the docs created with that account?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI