Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mounting Boss FeatureScript

robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
Hello all,

I've finally finished up this FeatureScript and thought some others may find it useful.

It's for making different types of mounting bosses in plastic parts. These are used for adding screws to plastic enclosures, mounting circuit boards, etc...

The script was based off of the Hardware Boss script by @NeilCooke. I added the capabilities for other types of bosses, so now you can do a Hardware Boss with counterbore and through hole for screws, Pin Boss for alignment/locating parts, and a Hole Boss for screw threads or locator pins.

The other modification I did was in how the bosses are located. With this script, the sketch points define the top of the boss. This is useful because you can use a single set of points to define the locations of the bosses for both halves of an enclosure, or all the mounting points for a circuit board.

Here is the link to the FeatureScript:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2972a375d9fd3b741d7cc02a/w/45408693c3984999d8c8ff22/e/403280a8c811319478bddf50 

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @robert_morris, this looks very useful indeed.  Thanks for sharing it.

I've tried to have a look at the documentation but somehow it's a tad mullered.  It looks like multiple pages are being displayed on one sheet.

This is in firefox. Can anyone else view it properly?

Cheers,

Owen S,

Boss.jpg 231.8K
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me in Chrome on a PC running Windows 7.
  • korikori Onshape Employees Posts: 25
    I can see the issue in both Firefox and Safari.  The pdf looks fine in Chrome and Opera.  Downloading the pdf and opening it directly in the browser (i.e. without Onshape involved), the pdf has the same issue in Firefox and Safari, so it appears to be an artifact of the uploaded pdf itself.
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    @owen_sparks

I just checked it here and it was showing up odd in Firefox for me too. I normally use chrome, so I didn't notice it before.
    There was a hidden layer in the Illustrator file that for some reason stayed in the PDF export and Firefox decided to show it even though it wasn't supposed to.

I fixed the file and bumped the version of the document, so it should work fine now.

Thanks for the feedback,
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2017
     Thanks folks, all good now.

@robert_morris
    Just wanted to repeat my thanks for making it public.  Having had a quick play with the feature I'm sure I'll be using it for real in the near future.  It appears very easy to use, is robust and is flexible.  Nice work sir.

@kori
    (1) Thanks for helping with the pdf.
    (2)  I'm sure you're way ahead of me but this feature is a perfect example of where it would be beneficial to have icons available in FS. Both in terms of the icon used to start the feature (the "MB" button is lost amoungst other FS buttons) and also within the feature's form.  It would be great for example when picking from "Hardware", "Hole" or "Pin" options to have small picture of what the feature looks like, or even the images from the PDF describing which parameter is which.

Great example of OS and FS and the benefit to the community. :)

Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd