Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to add a dimension between hidden lines on a drawing?

leon_karstenleon_karsten Member Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in Drawings
I need to indicate the machined depth on a part, but I can't seem to find an easy solution/tool to insert this dimension on my final drawing. Outline dimensions are fairly easy with the 2 point, point to line & line to line etc measurement tools, but these don't seem to snap to hidden lines.

Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited November 2016
    @leon_karsten Currently in Onshape drawings we do not dimension to hidden lines.  I will add you to that request.  In the meantime, we recommend creating another view (for example a section view) where the geometry is now visible and can be dimension-ed to.  This is also regarded by many as proper drafting practice, as many don't look too kindly to making dimensions to hidden lines.  This is not the reason we have not implemented this yet, but I thought I would point it out.  Thank you for your patience while we work on adding this capability.
  • spiritriderspiritrider Member, csevp Posts: 30 PRO
    I would like to dimension to a hidden line as well. Sometimes it is necessary without creating a whole new view.
  • bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Agreed from a purist and drafting standard point of view it is not done, but in practice it is very handy sometimes!
  • eric_tayloreric_taylor Member Posts: 3
    From a strict drafting point of view dimensions should ONLY be applied to "object lines."

Hidden lines are not "visible" in a "view" and often can overlap others. Dimensioning hidden lines is a strict no-no because there is potential uncertainty about which object is being dimensioned.

While we all have wanted to do so as a shortcut at times, a drafting purest will question your competence and professionalism. A breakout view can often be done without a new view and should eliminate any ambiguity.

Thank goodness for 3d models. So many of those drafting principles are relegated to the past. If a customer or supplier has the model and a computer, dimensions between any features in a model can be clarified or obtained when omitted on a 2d drawing.