Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Need advice how to redraw from old drawing for laser cut productivity

dennis_de_klerkdennis_de_klerk Member Posts: 14 EDU
Dear all,

I'm a pit rusty on my CAD skills and picked up only a while ago. I've got the basics covered again and ready to start working on design drawings of a small RC model plane.

I've found a very old drawing (80ies), see pdf attached. My idea is to make a 3D model in OnShape of this plane based on this drawing. So far so good and it'll have the ultimate goal to generate drawings that'll allow most parts cut from big nested sheets using laser cutter.

My Question: what is the best way to generate Sketches, Parts and Assemblies:
  1. Should I make a Sketch for every piece, extrude it into a Part and then assemble those in an Assembly? As such I'm sure to have all individual part that I could put in a nested sheet of wood, but I think it'll take more time to position all parts.
  2. So would the alternative of sketching multiple pieces in one Sketch work, generating 1 (?) Part of those multiple pieces and thereafter make the Assembly? I've noticed it's easier with all the snap functions for example. And for sure this proces will be a lot quicker, however I'm not sure if I'd be able to make nested sheets of all pieces?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Comments

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    hi @dennis_de_klerk I think the method-2 will be more convenient because Onshape has capability to create multiple parts in one part studio which is known as multi-body approach. In this example you already have the different part positions available in sheet. So, you can make single sketch containing the profiles of all the parts and then extrude individually. So your part studio will have all the parts located at the same position as required in assembly.
    Next you can call entire part studio in the assembly, pick all the parts and apply group constrain. Looking at your example drawing sheet I understand that initially it will take considerable time to create your first sketch for all parts but in future it will help you very much when you need to change the position of any part in assembly. It is only required to change the position of part profile in the first sketch which will update in part studio as well as in assembly. 
    It is possible to create drawing for each separate piece which is created in multi-body part studio.
    See this video link for multi part modeling
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/multipart-design
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    You might like to also checkout the 'Beams' custom feature!
    https://www.onshape.com/featurescript
    With a bit of modification you could put all of the standard balsa sizes into it.
    The workflow then becomes simply a sketch of the fuselage side and then apply the 'beams' feature - specifying the balsa size for each member. All of the mitering and trimming is automatically taken care of! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
  • dennis_de_klerkdennis_de_klerk Member Posts: 14 EDU
    Thanks everyone!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

@philip_thomas do you have a link to the Onshape model?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas I will love to take a closer look to that document (if you can share it)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    @emagdalenaC2C - Eduardo - i had grandiose plans to mate this up and get it working.
    Unfortunately all i hear around here is 'do some work' - don't they know this IS work? :)
    Maybe you will be more successful :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0696a1fdc81d963b1e805c90/w/b7b9c06655a1327e4c036d19/e/2030fa2a068a32e3151ea7e9
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a disappointment!! They are all imported parts!!!  :(
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    Yeah some Italian guy 'Leonardo' something or other did the original work, i just imported his work :)

Image result for leonardo da vinci ornithopter
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Did Leonardo work with some kind of rustic 3D modeling software???   :#
    Un saludo,

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2018
    Will the next version of Onshape fully support .LDV files? 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Something really old and antiquated - probably sketchup :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Eduardo - I actually had heard that story, and I am glad that C2C strives for the same level of perfection :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    There's an only slightly less well known story of a slightly less talented painter and a Pope. Pius IX remarked of a particularly poor portrait of himself: "Fear not, it is I." 
  • dennis_de_klerkdennis_de_klerk Member Posts: 14 EDU
    Great stories guys! I knew about the Giotto story, but not in full detail. Now I know it was the pope who asked for it and the name Giotto.

Recently I started on a new model. Bit different approach using 3D projected lines. Basically I make, for example, 2D drawings of the fuselage from 2 perspectives and then use the 3D projected line command to make up the contour. I then built up a surface model and after it being solid I start drawing the insides like Bulkheads etc. 

Not that I invented this by all means, but for the thread perhaps still relevant to note! I like this, because it keeps me in part mode a bit longer. I like Assemblies and in-context modelling, but in part mode often works simpler when working from an imported 2D drawing.