Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

about mating objects in assembly

darrin_jonesdarrin_jones Member Posts: 15
I've got two parallel arms that are approximately 130mm apart. I have used rotate mate to attach them to their pivot points at one end so that they sweep up and down. my problem is that when I try to rotate mate the cross bar at the arms other ends so that when arms are lifted the cross bar stays level to the base it doesn't seem to work. I get several "red" mate messages in the left window. any insights?
thanks

were is the link to the drawing if it helphttps://cad.onshape.com/documents/377974c0e0c46ddb9a7a8cab/w/853bfda50672e022d2c6453f/e/55987157fa53f0410e904cf5

Best Answers

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @viru I'm amazed at the consistent excellent help you give to the community, a very sincere thanks for that. 

One small suggestion if I may?  Your videos are great, but they start playing as soon as the page opens and then run in a loop.  As such I tend to miss the start, as I'm reading the original post, and then it's not always immediately obvious where the beginning is.  A long pause at the end or a splash screen at the beginning would help here.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks, Thank you for your suggestion in future I will definitely do that.
  • darrin_jonesdarrin_jones Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the answer Viru. I'm not sure I explained myself though. I looked at your copy to see what was different and discovered that even though you changed a few things I'm still seeing the red constraints. also the crossbar turns the two arms don't move. any thoughts?
    thanks
    I ended up making a long 'axle' revolute mating it in the middle of the 'axle tube' fasten mate to one end and grouping the other end to get the movement I wanted. thanks for the help folks
    ah ha, on second look at your video Viru, it looks like you are showing me that there is interference or overlap where I want the parts to move when you did the section view and it also looks like you are showing me that I have the mates in the wrong locations, is that correct? as I mentioned above I got it to work but I'll have to look and see if I can use your methods to do it too.
    thank you