Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to reorient an In-Context Sketch?

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Support

I like to make a steering connection rod (C) between the bush of the front fork (A) and the rack (B)

Fortunately it is possible now to use the new In-Context functionality.

1. I made a Mate connector in a hole in the rack as base for the context part studio and rotated it by guess so that I hope that the sketching plane of the new part studio passes through the center of the hole in A.
  2. While sketching the rod (C) I found that the sketching plane did not pass through the center line of the bush hole (see square marking).

3. So I rotated the mate connector to correct the sketching plane. However the sketching plane did not follow that rotation. Note the angle between the sketch and the X-axis of the mate connector (see round marking).

Questions:

1. Is it possible to reorient/rotate the sketching plane after creation
  2. Or even better: is it possible to create an In-Context sketching plane in relation to more than one entity (at this moment in context only one mate connector)?
Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    RKRK OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Would you be able to show the sketch plane you are using?  You may have to create a plane first by connecting the center points of A and B and then create the rod sketch.  Yet, I am wondering if the sweep path can be controlled much without 3d sketching capability.
  • Options
    @RK
    1. I can only show the sketch plane in the In-Context part studio.

2. How do I create a plane or a connection entitity between the holes in the assembly? In a way, that is part of my second question.
    3. The shape of the rod does not need a 3D sketch, only a 2D sketch plane in the right position is needed.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Now it’s clear.

ICD; what an impressive feature!

I succeeded to make the rod, especially with the help of Cody Armstrong’s https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/suv670wfof?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=41042688&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8goBt4_tdXslPA0vWS2kUFYx9DmdfghrZHMdahQ1ISoptZkeSR0hTYr2CJjVpi7SPCFhFIdLdAM9Hn-iD6m1yPIMKDfA&_hsmi=41042688 (very informative!), where at 50:45 it became clear that one can use other sketch planes then the initial ones that are created while selecting the origin or a mate connector.

@Jake_Rosenfeld and @RK : The hint of you both about the (sketch) plane through 3 points and how to make that helped me also very much. Thank you.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)