Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Microsoft Surface Pro vs iPad Pro?

PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Onshape Mobile
Great job OnShape team! I use OS at work and home on Macbook Pro's and it's very impressive! I'm also very impressed with how OS runs on my iPad mini 2, but I would like a larger screen. I was looking into purchasing a iPad pro or even the iPad Air 2. Then on second thought I wondered if I would be better off using OS with a Surface Pro instead. Can you run OS in a chrome browser on the Surface Pro or is there a special app you need to use like on the iPad? Any special specs I should be looking at when purchasing a Surface Pro for OS?

Thanks

Comments

• cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @Pahl  You will not be able to use touch gestures to manipulate the model on the surface pro the way you would on an ipad.  There is no Windows app.  You can use a Surface Pro, but you will be using it with only a mouse and keyboard like any other laptop.
  • PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @cody_armstrong good to know. I do very much like using the touch gestures. This then narrows it down between the iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro. I wonder if the extra cost of the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil would be worth it or not. Guessing I can still do everything with the OS app with or without the Apple Pencil. I worry about having to keep track of a $100 pencil too haha. Do you have any experiance with OS and the Apple Pencil? Thanks
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @Pahl I am fortunate enough to have access to both the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro.  Onshape has built a "Force Zoom" functionality specifically for the Apple Pencil.  It's a cool way to zoom in to something small, select it, and quickly zoom back out.  Very neat when you get the hang of it.  The Onshape App works well on either device, the Apple Pencil is definitely just icing on the cake.
  • PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.