Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rendering apps can't do surfaces?

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi everyone. So far, I've tried Clara:IO, OneRender, and RealityServer as rendering apps. None of them show surfaces. This is kind of hugely disappointing to me. What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @dan_engerer, I just tried one render app and I am successfully getting surface in One render.  After refreshing your document kindly try again. Please refer below snapshot of my surface tab.

• Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    For RealityServer we should be rendering everything that the Onshape tessellation routines can operate on so I would be quite surprised if surfaces do not work. If you have an example document which doesn't work it would be great if we can test this out.
  • Options
    Yes, I do have an example document. Here it is:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f5bcb82096bf0dd6f7e5cb90/w/126fb54bd492867a619d8e6e/e/452b8f523704ff22889e48d5

Here's Onshape:

Here's RealityServer:

Here's OneRender:

• Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the sample model, that has helped a lot, it led me right to the issue which has now been corrected for RealityServer. Here is a really quick test (fairly low tessellation settings).
  • Options
    Thank you Paul. I hope Onshape staff read this and begin working with One Render and Clara.IO to fix their programs as well.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @dan_engerer
    I think this is all related together in sort of a capitalistic way.  There has to be upside for the partners to develop, support and improve their apps.  In order for that environment to happen, onshape has to have a large user base.  
    Until the massive holes in missing functionality are filled, it will be difficult for the onshape user base to grow to the point where it can provide incentive for 3rd party app developers.   

I really like and support onshape.  I hope it will grow into a massive power-house in the CAD industry.  When that happens, tons of amazing apps will be available.  Hopefully onshape will acquire some of the apps or license the technology and completely integrate the functionality without a 3rd party.