Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the OS Approach to Configurations?

dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
I've been using 3D CAD since Pro\Eh was ported to Windows NT back in '94.  In all the 3D systems I've used since then we had configurations in one form or another.  They are extremely useful.

My question to Onshape is this:  Do you intend to offer configurations at some point?  It is not a question of when, but if you will offer it.  I know there is no showing of the cards for when something will be released.  Now that sheet metal is imminent OS is becoming a LOT more viable for us; configurations could be the tipping capability.

If the answer to my question is "No, we do not plan to provide the ability to use configurations." then I would ask for an explanation, as there must be a very good reason.  For example, if you aren't planning on offering configurations is it because you have a better method, something that accomplishes a lot of the same things configs do, but using a different workflow?  I'd love to know what that is as it could shorten our decision as to when to move to Onshape.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    We are definitely actively working on configurations.

While there are people working around the lack of configurations using branches or variables and expressions, we feel that those are just that -- workarounds (similar to some people using derived to work around lack of in-context modeling prior to its release).  As usual at Onshape, we are taking the time to do it well.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Awesome!  I was hoping to get just such a confirmation.  Thank you very, very much.

Is there a way I can get a notification of when configurations are announced?  Can you add me to a specific list to be notified since I don't log in here all that often?
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    I believe voting up the improvement request here https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4118/configurations will automatically add you to the notification list when that feature ships.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Thanks.  I voted that up a looooooooong time ago.  I have been very patient.