Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

skSetInitialQuess

darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
Hi need info about setting initial guess, what info do I need to give? I noticed that initial guessed are different lengths, what info is required for each of the constraint types? I want to use at least tangent and coinsident.

I looked at this link: 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ed3b9a6ae6c5cd467bffb9b0/w/1d62d669e5575f39099131b7/e/e838735640fabde7c32c9989

But it doesn't seem to help me in understanding what the numbers mean.

Kind regards,
Darren Lynch

Comments

• darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Does anyone know anything about initial guesses for constraints? I tried doing what I wanted using numerical methods, i.e. iterating to find roots (for coincidence) and numerical differentiation to find gradients (for tangency). Although this has worked, and it was very good for my own development I did it knowing that there was an easier way. And it hurt my soul. I need this to further develop my parametric aerofoil script which allows the user to define more naturally any aerofoil shape they can think of.

Any hint would be great!
    Kind regards,
    Darren
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    don't know how to use skConstraint, and i should notice that apparently feature script was not designed to maintain any advanced 2d sketching functionality. ie parametrization that works in 3D and allows to extract some differential characteristics of curves like evEdgeCurvature,  curvatureFrameTangent/Normal/Binormal, evEdgeTangentLine, evFacetangentPlane don't has analogs for 2D geometry. so maybe you can try to generate your profiles like 3D curves?

• darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Hi @konstantin_shiriazdanov, that's food for thought. Might set up a test script and see what I can do, Cheers!

Darren